Our easy homemade hummus recipe is so quick and tasty – you’ll not buy store bought hummus again!
An easy homemade hummus recipe is definitely good to know – using just a handful of simple ingredients you can whizz up a healthy, naturally vegan snack in literally minutes.
Once you’ve got the basic homemade hummus recipe nailed you can add your own flavour twists and take it in so many different directions.
You’ll quickly find that homemade hummus tastes so much better the shop bought and that it’s really low cost to make.
There’s so many tasty ways to use hummus in your recipes and meals – it’s super versatile and delicious. Honestly once you start to make your own hummus you’ll never go back to shop bought again.
Easy Homemade Hummus Ingredients
- 400g can chickpeas (you can pick these up in the supermarket for as cheap as 35p a can)
- 1 heaped tbs tahini – tahini is widely available in supermarkets it’s a sesame seed paste and adds a delicious taste to your hummus
- 1 clove garlic – peeled and chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
How to make easy homemade hummus
It’s so easy to make your own hummus from scratch – you will need a food processor or hand held blender though to do the work for you.
- Peel and chop the garlic
- Half the lemon and squeeze the juice.
- Then just add all the ingredients to the food processor and blitz until smooth – if the hummus looks a little thick or dry then loosen the mixture with a little cold water rather than add extra olive oil.
- Once blitzed to a smooth paste tip into a serving bowl and if you like you can drizzle over some olive oil and just a little pinch of smoked paprika so it looks nice.
What to eat with easy homemade hummus – 10 tasty ways to squeeze hummus into your diet!
- Eat as a dip with breadsticks or crackers.
- Make into veggie dip pots – add a layer of hummus in the bottom of the pot and add vegetable batons of cucumber, pepper and carrot for dipping.
- Drizzle over a grilled rainbow vegetable and salad sandwich.
- Stuff into pitta breads with grilled vegetables or lamb patties and salad.
- Eat with flatbreads and leftover roast lamb – this is one of my favourite ways to use up leftover roast lamb.
- Smother onto lamb burgers and top with halloumi cheese and chilli jam.
- Make hummus and crackers snack boxes.
- Make a tray of spicy oven fries and add a hummus dip on the side.
Get loads of lunch recipes and ideas here
- Serve with a portion of fried halloumi or falafel.
- Spread on toast and top with rocket leaves.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Can you make hummus without tahini?
Of course you can – just switch the tahini for smooth peanut or almond nut butter, it’ll taste just as good.
How long does hummus keep in the fridge?
Our homemade hummus should be stored in the fridge in an air tight container and used within 48 hours of making… which won’t be hard because it’s delicious!
Can I make hummus without chickpeas?
Well.. traditionally hummus is made with chickpeas but you can make a similar style dip using canned kidney beans or butterbeans.
Get more delicious dips recipes here
Love hummus? Try these delicious flavoured hummus recipes
Get our best Greek recipes here
- Carrot Hummus – a super tasty hummus made with roast spiced carrots – delicious served as part of tapas.
- Beetroot Hummus – this vibrant, super tasty hummus recipe has a twist of sweet chilli and is oh so delicious served on grazing boards or summer picnic platters.
- Sun Dried Tomato Hummus – delicious sweet tasting hummus that’s perfect spread on toasted ciabatta with salad.
- Red Pepper Hummus – a tasty hummus flavoured with sweet chargrilled peppers.
- Pumpkin Hummus – a delicious, sweet and creamy hummus recipe made with roasted pumpkin. You could swap the pumpkin for squash if you can’t get hold of pumpkin.
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes and Easy Family Meals your whole family will LOVE!
Love to make homemade hummus? Try out these hummus flavours to add a tasty twist
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tbs tahini
- Juice half a lemon
- Clove garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- Peel and chop the garlic
- Half the lemon and squeeze the juice
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- If the mixture needs loosening, do so by adding in some cold water as required.
- Tip into serving bowl and tuck in
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 211mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 5g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our homemade hummus recipe on Pinterest for later
Get more snack recipes here
Fancy trying out one of our amazing 10 summer salad recipes?
Get all our easy vegan recipes right here
If you make it don’t forget to tag us your creations on Twitter @daisiesandpieUK or Instagram @daisiesandpie