Meatball fans follow me, these juicy easy meatballs with five vegetable sauce and garlic bread dippers are a really quick meal idea and a fab easy family recipe. Perfect for weeknight cooking or preparing in advance so they just need reheating at tea time making them great for busy parents!
The easy meatballs are quick to make and cook in the oven so there’s no need to be stood over them as they sizzle which leaves you free to make the sauce. The whole meal can be ready in around 30 minutes.
I use the simplest of ingredients for the meatballs just beef mince, a handful of breadcrumbs, an egg yolk to bind and teaspoon of dried oregano and pinch of salt for seasoning, simple! You don’t even need to diry a bowl – just mix the ingredients in the meat packet, roll into balls and put straight into the roasting tin.
Once the meatballs are cooking away in the oven the sauce is super simple to make and packs in five different vegetables so it’s great for contributing to the kids 5-a-day. To get the sauce cooked quickly you need to chop things finely. I blitz the vegetables quickly in a blender – so you’re aiming for this size.
This sauce contains onion, celery, orange pepper, carrots and passata so it’s packed with ‘hidden’ goodness.
You could toss the meatballs and sauce through some pasta if you wanted but it is substantial enough to be eaten just as it is from the dish scooped up with lovely buttery garlic bread mmmm real family food!
Super juicy and quick easy meatballs with hidden vegetable tomato sauce and garlic bread dippers - fab family dinner.
- 500g beef mince
- Handful bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Egg yolk
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 red onion
- 1 stick celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 red or orange pepper
- 800g passata
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Shop bought garlic bread slices.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Open the meat pack/bag - tip in the breadcrumbs, 1 tsp dried oregano, egg yolk and a pinch of salt.
- Combine the meatball mixture with your hands and then roll into golf ball sized meatballs and place in a roasting tin.
- Cook in the oven for around 20 - 25 minutes until browning and cooked through.
- As soon as the meatballs are in the oven get cooking the sauce!
- Put the garlic, red onion, celery, pepper and carrots into a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium/high heat and briskly fry the chopped vegetables for around 5 minutes.
- Pour in the passata, Worcestershire sauce and the remaining tsp of dried oregano, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and then keep on a medium heat with the lid on for around 15 minutes.
- Simply combine the cooked meatballs with the sauce and spoon into dishes, serve with shop bought garlic bread slices as dippers.
Make meatballs your way
Use this recipe as a basic idea and take it in a different direction, they’re your meatballs – eat them your way!
- go spicy – add a pinch of chilli flakes to the meatballs and throw a fresh red chilli into the food processor when blitzing the vegetables.
- go smoky – add a pinch of smoked paprika to the meatballs and a good squirt of shop bought BBQ sauce to the tomato sauce.
- serve with rice or chips instead of garlic bread dippers.
Yum – one to add to your meal plan I think – Enjoy!