Advertisement Feature and Review
Oh my goodness I’m a little bit addicted to this soup, it’s fiery, warming and so flavourful! You could be all healthy and eat it just as it is… maybe with some rye crackers BUT I really think you’re missing a trick if you don’t opt for a side of cheesy nachos. Just perfect.
We use a soup maker to cook our soup, but this recipe works just as well in a pan and then blitz with a hand blender.
Add a little spice to your bowl.
- 1/2 red onion - roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli - deseeded and sliced
- 1 red pepper - diced
- 1 orange pepper - diced
- 2 carrots - sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 pint hot vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Schwartz fajita seasoning
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- bunch of coriander to serve
- Add all the ingredients to the soup maker and put on the lid.
- Select the chunky soup programme and press start
- Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan - gently sauté the onions for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the chilli, peppers, carrots, tinned tomatoes, spices and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the stock, stir gently, bring the soup to the boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Once cooked - blitz to desired consistency and serve in bowls scattered with chopped coriander.
Make Mexican tortilla soup your way
- Skip the chilli for a milder version.
- Add in a tin of kidney beans for a more filling soup.
How to serve Mexican tortilla soup
- Serve topped with freshly chopped coriander, maybe a spoonful of sour cream or diced avocado.
- Delicious as an easy lunch or in thermos food flasks and take for packed lunch.
- We like this with a side of cheesy nachos, but this soup works great with crusty bread, rye crackers or breadsticks.