An easy mezze platter is great for serving at a laid back gathering – just go for a lovely collection of little Greek and Middle Eastern inspired dishes and warmed breads and just dig in!
What’s in a mezze?
A mezze is a collection of easy little dishes with Greek or Middle Eastern flavours and styles that taste amazing together. Nothing complicated just simple food served simply.
I like to include… hummus, tzatziki, herby dressed couscous alongside feta cheese or grilled halloumi, I add marinated olives, chargrilled peppers, stuffed vine leaves and serve with warmed pitta breads or flatbreads.
You can throw a mezze together using good shop bought ready made dips and treats in no time – for a low cost version of the mezze spread it’s definitely worth checking out the budget supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl – they ofter sell authentic Greek foods at a fraction of the price the larger supermarkets do.
How to make a mezze
- tin of chickpeas
- clove of garlic
- juice of a lemon
- 2 tbs tahini
- sea salt
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
Add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon, tahini and a pinch of salt to a food processor and blitz until smooth. To serve drizzle it with a little more olive oil and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
Homemade Herby Cous Cous
- wholewheat cous cous
- 2-3 handfuls of mixed chopped herbs – basil, flat leaf parsley, mint, coriander
- zest of a lemon
- olive oil
Make up the cous cous as per the packet instructions, then fluff with a fork, add a drizzle of olive oil and stir in the chopped herbs. Sprinkle over the grated lemon zest.
- half a cucumber
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- clove of garlic – finely chopped
- a couple of mint leaves finely shredded
- zest of a lemon
Slice the cucumber into small cubes, stir through the yogurt, garlic, mint and lemon zest.
Mezze foods to buy ready made…
- Slice jarred chargrilled peppers
- Throw on a handful of marinated pitted olives
- Cube some feta cheese or slice and grill halloumi
- Serve with stuffed vine leaves (try the world food section of the supermarket or deli counter)
How to make a really easy mezze when you’re feeling lazy…
- Use shop bought hummus
- Use flavoured cous cous packet (try Ainsley Harriott flavoured cous cous sachets)
- Use a jar of Apetina cubed feta in oil
- Use shop bought tzatziki
hit subscribe below for more food and lifestyle inspiration
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Get our best Greek recipes here
Get more picnic ideas here
Get more quick and easy meals here
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here