An easy mezze platter is great for serving at a laid back gathering – just go for a lovely collection of little Greek and Middle Eastern inspired dishes and warmed breads and just dig in!
What’s in a mezze?
A mezze is a collection of easy little dishes with Greek or Middle Eastern flavours and styles that taste amazing together. Nothing complicated just simple food served simply.
I like to include… hummus, tzatziki, herby dressed couscous alongside feta cheese or grilled halloumi, I add marinated olives, chargrilled peppers, stuffed vine leaves and serve with warmed pitta breads or flatbreads.
You can throw a mezze together using good shop bought ready made dips and treats in no time – for a low cost version of the mezze spread it’s definitely worth checking out the budget supermarkets like Aldi and Lidl – they ofter sell authentic Greek foods at a fraction of the price the larger supermarkets do.
How to make a mezze
- tin of chickpeas
- clove of garlic
- juice of a lemon
- 2 tbs tahini
- sea salt
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
Add the chickpeas, garlic, lemon, tahini and a pinch of salt to a food processor and blitz until smooth. To serve drizzle it with a little more olive oil and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
Homemade Herby Cous Cous
- wholewheat cous cous
- 2-3 handfuls of mixed chopped herbs – basil, flat leaf parsley, mint, coriander
- zest of a lemon
- olive oil
Make up the cous cous as per the packet instructions, then fluff with a fork, add a drizzle of olive oil and stir in the chopped herbs. Sprinkle over the grated lemon zest.
- half a cucumber
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- clove of garlic – finely chopped
- a couple of mint leaves finely shredded
- zest of a lemon
Slice the cucumber into small cubes, stir through the yogurt, garlic, mint and lemon zest.
Mezze foods to buy ready made…
- Slice jarred chargrilled peppers
- Throw on a handful of marinated pitted olives
- Cube some feta cheese or slice and grill halloumi
- Serve with stuffed vine leaves (try the world food section of the supermarket or deli counter)
How to make a really easy mezze when you’re feeling lazy…
- Use shop bought hummus
- Use flavoured cous cous packet (try Ainsley Harriott flavoured cous cous sachets)
- Use a jar of Apetina cubed feta in oil
- Use shop bought tzatziki