Fancy doing something a bit different from the usual rhubarb crumble then this is for you! Our delicious tangy rhubarb relish is so simple to make and tastes just AMAZING!
We like this dolloped onto cheese on toast or burgers but it pretty much goes with most things – roast meat, grilled fish or just alongside a nice cheese board.
I don’t make this as a ‘proper’ preserve – just as a quick relish and keep it in the fridge, use within 2 days.
Deliciously easy tangy rhubarb relish recipe
- splash of olive oil
- 1 large onion - diced
- 400g rhubarb - ends trimmed and sliced
- 1 small chilli - chopped
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed using pestle and mortar
- 2 tbs water
- pinch sea salt
- Add a splash of olive oil to the saucepan - tip in the onions and gently cook for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the rhubarb and gently soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, chilli, fennel seeds, pinch of sea salt and water - turn up the heat until the relish starts to bubble.
- The reduce the heat to low and cook for around 40 - 45 minutes until you're left with a soft, squishy relish - check regularly and stir to avoid it drying out or sticking to the pan.
Make rhubarb relish your way
- Want more heat? Add in a hotter chilli or a couple of chillies.
- Fancy a gingery twist – add in freshly grated ginger and the zest of a lemon.
How to serve rhubarb relish
- Perfect on cheese on toast.
- Dolloped on a burger.
- Delicious with ham and salad sandwiches.
- Add to your cheese board.
- Perfect with BBQ meat and fish.
PS…. we think you might also just LOVE our spiced beetroot relish recipe too!