Homemade sausage rolls are a real treat but they don’t have to be complicated – they just have to taste good!
These little sausage rolls are good packed up for lunch, tucked in a picnic, as part of a buffet or just as a quick midweek meal with heaps of salad and coleslaw.
We use shop bought puff pastry for the sausage rolls for speed. Cut the sausages in half and remove the sausage skins, the sausage rolls are much nicer made this way.
Roll out the puff pastry, cut into 16 rectangles, place half a sausage onto each one, wrap the pastry around it, brush all the sausage rolls with beaten egg this will give the pastry a lovely golden brown colour when cooked.
Bake for around 30 minutes. That’s it, super easy and super tasty!
Super tasty, easy to make sausage rolls
- 8 sausages - whatever kind you like
- 1 pack of ready made puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten
- olive oil to grease the baking tray
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Take the skins off the sausages - it only takes a few minutes and they're much nicer without the skins on.
- Cut the sausages in half to give you 16 mini sausages. If the sausages are very fat it's best to squish them thinner as they'll cook more quickly.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a large rectangle and then cut into half lengthways - cut each half into 8 sections.
- Take a rectangle and put a sausage onto the edge of the pastry - roll to wrap the sausage in pastry and moisten the end of the pastry with beaten egg to seal it together.
- Place seal side down onto a lightly greased baking tray and cut slits in the top of the sausage roll with a knife.
- When the sausage rolls are all made - brush them all with beaten egg, this will give a nice golden colour when they're cooked.
- Place in the oven and cook for around 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and sausages cooked thoroughly.