Turn a packet of sausages into a warming and super easy sausage casserole! A budget one pot family dinner that’s just delicious. Easy midweek dinner is sorted!
Our easy sausage casserole is so simple and perfect for this time of year, it’s warming, filling and it’s great for getting kids into the kitchen learning how to cook proper dinners.
Just a few simple ingredients go into this flavoursome dish making it a budget dinner that you’ll all love!
Sausages in gravy casserole in such a cosy, easy family dinner idea.
Get loads more easy casserole recipes here!
Easy Sausage Casserole Ingredients
- 8 sausages – choose high meat content sausages, I use Heck sausages for my sausage stew as they’re 97% pork meat.
- 1 onion – roughly diced
- 3 carrots – peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks celery – sliced
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- Salt and black pepper
How to make easy sausage casserole
- Heat the oven – preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Brown the sausages – brown the sausages in a pan – you shouldn’t need to add any oil, but if you do need a little, add a splash of olive oil.
- Add the vegetables – throw in the chopped onions, celery and carrots.
- Add the beef stock and tomato puree – pour over the beef stock and add the tomato puree, season with salt and ground black pepper and give everything a gentle mix and stir around.
- Cook in the oven – put the easy sausage casserole into the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. When it’s cooked thoroughly remove the sausage stew from the oven – if the gravy needs thickening do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the gravy to thicken.
Do you need to brown sausages before putting them in sausage casserole?
Yes – always brown the sausages otherwise your casserole will just look unpleasant – browned sausages make it look a whole lot more delicious!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
How to make sausage stew stretch to feed more people
- Add in more vegetables – try mushrooms, sliced peppers or leeks or new potatoes.
- Bulk it up with beans and pulses – throw in a tin of butter beans or lentils – they go really well with stewed sausages.
Browse all our meat recipes here
What to serve with easy sausage casserole
- Mashed potatoes – try creamy mashed potatoes
- Healthy vegetable mash – go for a healthier mash and mash together sweet potatoes, carrots and swedes.
- Mustard mash– we love this spooned over a dollop of creamy mustard mash. Just can’t beat it!
- Baked potatoes – spoon the easy sausage casserole into oven baked potatoes – you can bake them at the same time as cooking the sausage stew!
- Rice and pasta – try with pasta or boiled rice – easy, cheap and delicious with stew.
- Crusty bread roll – spoon the easy sausage casserole into bowls and eat it just as it is with a buttered bread rolls for dipping in.
More easy sausage recipes that are great for family dinner
- Sausages with rice – use sausages to liven up this delicious easy curried vegetable rice dish.
- Sausage gnocchi bake (ad-feature recipe) – a warming one pot tray bake with sausages and gnocchi in a rich tomato sauce.
- Slow cooker sausage casserole – warming sausage stew cooked in a rich stout based gravy.
- Sausages with roasted vegetables – a delicious tray bake with sausages, rice and lots of Mediterranean vegetables.
- Sausage and Mash Pie – the ultimate comfort food! Perfect for a Sunday lunch with the family. Sausages in a rich gravy, topped with fluffy mashed potatoes.
- Sausage and cheesy mash stuffed jacket potatoes (ad feature recipe) a delicious way to serve baked potatoes.
- Chicken and sausage casserole – a super tasty, laid back Sunday dinner, perfect with mashed potatoes and freezer veg.
Get all our delicious sausage recipes here
NEED SOME FAMILY MEAL IDEAS?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 8 sausages - choose high meat content
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 carrots - sliced
- 2 sticks celery - sliced
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4
- Brown the sausages in a pan – you shouldn’t need to add any oil, but if you do need a little, add a splash of olive oil.
- Throw in the chopped onions, celery and carrots.
- Pour pour over the beef stock and add the tomato puree, season with salt and ground black pepper and give everything a gentle mix and stir around.
- Put put the easy sausage casserole into the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. When it’s cooked thoroughly remove the sausage stew from the oven.
- If the gravy needs thickening do this with a couple of tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with cold water and then stirred through the gravy to thicken.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 531Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 1517mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 28g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our easy sausage casserole to Pinterest for your next family dinner!