Our Easy Sausage Traybake is so simple to make and is a HUGE family favourite! Total comfort food that’s perfect for a cold day.
Sausage traybake is one of those delicious, lazy kind of family dinners. You can pretty much throw into it whatever you fancy and it’ll still taste good!
Sausage traybake ingredients
- 8-10 thick sausages – just choose whatever sausages you like, plain, flavoured, spicy, herby – pick your faves.
- 1kg baby new potatoes – left whole or halve the bigger ones – you can peel the potatoes or just scrub them clean.
- 1 butternut squash (or bag of ready to use butternut squash wedges)
- 1 large red onion – peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can swap this for rapeseed oil if you prefer
- 2 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- salt and black pepper
How to make our easy sausage traybake recipe
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Scrub (or peel) the potatoes and parboil for around 5 minutes – drain and toss together with the butternut squash wedges, onion wedges, olive oil and Italian herbs.
- Tip into the roasting tin and add the sausages in amongst the vegetables.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for around 35 – 45 minutes or until everything is cooked through properly.
Secrets to a better sausage traybake
Okay, this is just super simple – add in ingredients you love that way you’re eating your perfect traybake!
- For extra flavour try adding a little pesto drizzled over everything – do this half way through cooking so it keeps it’s flavour well.
- You could also turn this meal into a sticky sausage traybake by adding a good drizzle of honey, maple syrup or even sweet chilli sauce around 15 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Switch the vegetables – try sweet potatoes, peppers, vine tomatoes or even swede wedges.
Make vegetarian sausage traybake
- Go vegetarian with this recipe and use vegetarian sausages – adjusting the cooking time as necessary
Make low fat sausage traybake
- Try healthier lower fat chicken sausages in place of regular chunky pork sausages – or switch to vegetarian – this will lower the fat content of the meal.
Make it gluten free
Sausage traybake is super easy to make into a gluten free meal – just choose gluten free sausages and there’s loads of different kids available in the supermarket now to choose from.
What to eat with Sausage traybake
You can eat the Sausage Traybake just as it is or try serving with…
- Serve with a side of peas or seasonal greens like broccoli or even sprouts.
- Add some garlic bread slices.
Get more delicious autumn recipes here
More sausage recipes for you to try…
- Sausage pasta – a delicious, quick and easy spicy sausage pasta dish, this is lovely for weeknight dinner.
- Sausage and Cider Casserole – proper comfort food! Delicious sausages braised in cider with vegetables served alongside real good old fashioned colcannon potatoes – this is a great meal for an alternative Sunday roast.
- Posh Sausage Rolls – oh don’t just eat boring sausage rolls… notch them up a level with these amazing homemade posh sausage rolls stuffed with sausage, cheese and chutney – just too good!
Fancy some gravy with that?
You’ll just love how quick and easy our onion gravy recipe is and it’s perfect for serving with our sausage traybake.
NEED SOME FAMILY DINNER RECIPES INSPIRATION?
Check out our meal planning guide here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planning tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 8 sausages
- 1kg baby new potatoes
- 1 butternut squash - peeled, deseeded and sliced into wedges
- 1 red onion - peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat he oven to 200C
- Scrub the potatoes and parboil for around 5 minutes - drain and toss together with the butternut squash wedges, onion wedges, olive oil and Italian herbs.
- Tip into the roasting tin and add the sausages.
- Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for around 35 - 45 minutes or until everything is cooked through.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 714Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 1227mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 8gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our super tasty easy sausage traybake recipe to Pinterest for later!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get all our delicious sausage recipes here