Nothing says comfort food quite like a huge plateful of shepherd’s pie. Minced lamb gently cooked in a rich rosemary and tomato gravy topped with the fluffiest mashed potatoes, sprinkled with cheese and baked to perfection.
All we can say is pass me a plate and load it up!
To make our easy shepherd’s pie sauté the lamb mince, onion and garlic in a little olive oil until it’s colouring up nicely. Add in a handful of thinly sliced carrots, a huge squeeze of tomato puree, freshly chopped rosemary and pour over the beef stock.
Whilst this bubbles away, peel and chop the potatoes and boil in salted water until they’re tender. Mash the potatoes with lots of butter and milk. All that’s left is to assemble the shepherd’s pie – tip the lamb mixture into a pie dish, top with mashed potato, fork the top and sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake in the oven for around 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese is melting and browning.
Proper comfort food for a cold night.
Perfect comfort food for a cold night
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 2 carrots - finely sliced
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- 300ml hot beef stock
- 1.5kg potatoes
- butter and milk for mashing
- handful grated cheese
- olive oil, salt and pepper
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a saucepan, gently sauté the onion, garlic and lamb mince until they just start to colour.
- Add the tomato puree, carrots and rosemary. Pour over the stock, bring the meat to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on whilst you prepare the potatoes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and boil in salted water until tender. Drain and mash them with butter and milk until they're nice and fluffy.
- Assemble the shepherd's pie - tip the lamb into a pie or casserole dish, top with the mashed potato, fork the potato and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 200C for around 20 minutes until the cheese melts and browns.
Make Shepherds Pie your way
- switch the lamb mince for beef and turn it into cottage pie.
- go veggie and use tinned lentils and tomatoes for a quick veg packed pie.
- spice it up and stir in a couple spoonfuls of curry paste.