Our slow cooker chicken curry recipe is so easy to make, packed with vegetables that all count towards your five-a-day. The perfect easy family dinner recipe that they’ll all love.
I know we are biased BUT… OMG this is such a good chicken curry. It’s perfect for Saturday nights when you want a take away, but fancy a healthier, less expensive version.
It tastes amazing and it’s really easy to make. It should definitely be in your weekend food plans!
How to make slow cooker chicken curry
The slow cooker I use at home is the CrockPot sauté model with removable pan – so I bring the curry to the boil on the hob before putting the pan into the CrockPot base to slow cook.
To make the really easy slow cooker chicken curry I just add the onions, peppers, chicken, potatoes, tomatoes and curry powder to the pan, season with salt and black pepper then bring to the boil, then transfer to the CrockPot to slowly simmer away.
The fresh spinach isn’t added until just before serving so that it just wilts into the curry.
Perfect Saturday night curry.
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper - cut into bitesized pieces
- 450g diced chicken breasts
- 450g potatoes - peeled and cut into bitesized pieces
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp curry powder - I use medium when cooking for the kids
- 100g fresh spinach - roughly chopped.
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Add the onion, peppers, chicken, potatoes, tomatoes and curry powder into the pan, season with salt and pepper. I use a sauté slow cooker with removable pan so I bring the curry to the boil on the hob before putting the pan into the slow cooker base.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Check the consistency of the sauce once cooked, if it's too watery add a couple of tsp of cornflour to a cup, mix to a smooth paste with water and add to the curry, stir in and leave for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the spinach to the curry and leave it to stand for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Serve with rice, naan brad and a big salad.
How to make our easy slow cooker chicken curry your way
- you can make this recipe with chicken mini fillets if you prefer, these are often cheaper than packets of chicken breasts.
- try adding in different vegetables like sweet potato, courgettes or aubergine.
- switch the chicken for turkey.
- if you like your curry spicy – make it hotter with a spicier curry powder.
- go vegetarian and skip the chicken, replace with a couple of tins of chickpeas.
What sides to serve with chicken curry
Our slow cooker chicken curry is delicious served with plain boiled rice or chips… or you could even do half and half. I like to add a side of naan breads and popadoms with dips. More side dishes to try are…
More Chicken Mini Fillets Recipes to make
- Sticky Moroccan Chicken with Herby Couscous
- Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken Stew
- Moroccan Chicken Strips with Yogurt Dip