Oh my goodness this is such a good chicken curry, it’s perfect for Saturday nights when you want a take away, but fancy a healthier, less expensive version. It tastes delicious and it’s really easy to make. It should definitely be on your weekend menu.
Perfect Saturday night curry.
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper - cut into bitesized pieces
- 450g diced chicken breasts
- 450g potatoes - peeled and cut into bitesized pieces
- 400g tin of tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp curry powder - I use medium when cooking for the kids
- 100g fresh spinach - roughly chopped.
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Add the onion, peppers, chicken, potatoes, tomatoes and curry powder into the pan, season with salt and pepper. I use a sauté slow cooker with removable pan so I bring the curry to the boil on the hob before putting the pan into the slow cooker base.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Check the consistency of the sauce once cooked, if it's too watery add a couple of tsp of cornflour to a cup, mix to a smooth paste with water and add to the curry, stir in and leave for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the spinach to the curry and leave it to stand for 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- Serve with rice, naan brad and a big salad.
Make easy slow cooker chicken curry your way
- try different veggies like sweet potato, courgettes or aubergine.
- switch the chicken for turkey.
- make it hotter with a spicier curry powder.
- go vegetarian and skip the chicken, replace with a couple of tins of chickpeas.
- throw together a zingy spiced salad to go alongside. Get our Indian salad recipe here.
How to serve slow cooker chicken curry
- perfect for Saturday night dinner instead of buying take-away.
- for a mid week dinner when you just want to come home to dinner cooked and ready.