Our slow cooker chicken curry recipe is so easy to make, packed with vegetables that all count towards your five-a-day. The perfect easy family dinner recipe that they’ll all love.
I know we are biased BUT… OMG this is such a good chicken curry.
It’s perfect for Saturday nights when you want a take away, but fancy a healthier, less expensive version.
It tastes amazing and it’s really easy to make. It should definitely be in your weekend food plans!
How to make slow cooker chicken curry
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Ingredients
- 15ml Sunflower Oil
- 1 Onion – diced
- 1 Red Pepper – diced
- 450g Chicken Breast – diced
- 450g Potatoes – peeled and diced
- 400g Tin Tomatoes
- 2 tbs Curry Powder – I use mild when cooking for the kids
- 100g Fresh Spinach – roughly chopped
How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
The slow cooker I use at home is the CrockPot sauté model with removable pan – so I bring the curry to the boil on the hob before putting the pan into the CrockPot base to slow cook.
- Switch the slow cooker on to the low setting to warm up.
- Heat the sunflower oil in the pan and gently sauté the chopped onions.
- Tip the diced chicken breast fillets into the slow cooker pan with the sautéed chopped onions.
- Gently stir fry over a low heat until the pink chicken turns a white colour.
- Tip in the mild curry powder and stir well to coat all the chicken.
- Next dice the pepper, peel and chop the potatoes and open a tin of chopped tomatoes
- Tip the cubed potatoes into the pan with the chicken and onions.
- Add the diced pepper to the slow cooker pan.
- Tip the tinned tomatoes into the slow cooker pan and add 1/3 tin of water – I just use the tomato tin to do this – swishing all the tomatoes off the side as I go.
- Stir everything together and bring to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker. I cook this on low for 6-8 hours whilst I just get on with my day.
- Once the slow cooker chicken curry is cooked – roughly chop the fresh spinach.
- Cooks Tip – kids prefer spinach chopped up finely – it stops it going stringy in the curry and there’s less complaining!
- You can eat the curry without the spinach if you prefer – I just like to add in as many vegetables I can sneak past the kids!
- Tip the chopped spinach into the curry and stir through – the spinach will just wilt in the heat of the curry after a few minutes.
- Once the spinach is wilted the curry is ready to serve.
- Serve the curry scattered with chopped coriander for added taste.
How to make easy slow cooker chicken curry your way
- you can make this recipe with chicken mini fillets if you prefer, these are often cheaper than packets of chicken breasts.
- try adding in different vegetables like sweet potato, courgettes or aubergine.
- switch the chicken for turkey.
- if you like your curry spicy – make it hotter with a spicier curry powder.
- go vegetarian and skip the chicken, replace with a couple of tins of chickpeas.
What sides to serve with chicken curry?
Our slow cooker chicken curry is delicious served with plain boiled rice or chips… or you could even do half and half. I like to add a side of naan breads and popadoms with dips. More side dishes to try are…
- Mint raita – simple Indian style dip made from shredded cucumber, fresh chopped mint leaves and creamy natural yogurt – great served with popadoms.
- Indian salad – a spicy, zesty salad of finely chopped lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers – the salad is flecked with freshly chopped chillies and coriander and served with a squeeze of lemon juice and pinch of sea salt.
- Easy veggie rice – a simple rice dish packed with extra veggies – good for adding more vegetables into your diet.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes to Make
- Slow Cooker Rustic Chicken Stew – a delicious flavoursome stew that’s great for feeding the family on a cold wintery night.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma – use the slow cooker to create delicious spiced chicken you can shred and serve on flatbreads with salad and sauces.
- Slow Cooker Cajun Chicken Stew – a spicy chicken stew, bursting with Cajun flavours – delicious served with rice and peas.
- 15ml Sunflower Oil
- 1 Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 450g Chicken Breast
- 450g Potatoes
- 2 tbs Curry Powder - Mild
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes
- 100g Spinach
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and gently sautee the chopped onions.
- Add in the diced chicken breast and fry for a couple of minute.
- Add in the curry powder and stir to coat all the chicken.
- Tip in the potatoes, peppers and tinned tomatoes and 1/3 tin water - stir to mix everything together.
- Bring the curry to the boil then transfer to the slow cooker to cook on low for 6-8 hours - always ensure chicken is cooked through properly to the correct temperature before eating.
- Once the curry is cooked - stir through the chopped spinach and allow it to wilt.
- Serve and eat
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g