Easter Sunday traditionally means cooking up a delicious roast lamb dinner and you just can’t go wrong with this slowly roasted leg of lamb.
It’s so easy to prepare and it always cooks beautifully and because it’s slowly cooked it just feels like a nice lazy option, one that leaves me free to enjoy the day whilst dinner just takes care of itself.
I keep the vegetables simple too, I roast potatoes and carrots in with the lamb and serve up alongside buttery greens and of course mint sauce. All simple, all easy.
Delicious traditional lamb dinner that's perfect for Easter
- Leg of lamb (approx 2kg)
- spring of fresh rosemary
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 250ml liquid - either stock or white wine or combination of them both
- 2kg potatoes - peeled and cut into chunks. (use more if you're feeding more people)
- 1kg carrots - scrubbed and cut into large chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Place lamb in a large roasting tin - one big enough to hold all the vegetables too.
- Using a sharp knife pierce holes in the meat big enough to push a garlic clove and sprig of rosemary into each one.
- Pour over around 250ml of wine or stock and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly with foil and put into the oven to cook for around 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Around 1 hour from the end of roasting time - parboil the potatoes and carrots. Then add them to the roasting tin with the lamb for the remainder of the cooking time.
- Once the lamb is cooked to your liking and the potatoes browning - it's done.
- Serve the potatoes and carrots with slices of lamb and pour over the pan juices.
Love your leftovers…
- leftover roast lamb is delicious with hummus, salad, mango chutney and minty lemon yogurt stuffed into a flatbread.
PS… we think you might also just LOVE our Epic Greek Lamb Stew recipe
You might also just LOVE our Retro Prawn Cocktail recipe – the perfect starter recipe for Easter dinner.
Loads more ideas for family celebrations here!
Get more Easter food ideas and Easter kids crafts here
More easy Easter recipes here
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
If you love to cook with lamb then you’ll love these tasty lamb dishes.
Browse all our meat recipes here