We just love this easy sweet and sour chicken recipe, it’s a huge hit with the kids, packs in fruit and vegetables and is literally ready in 20 minutes. Ideal for a school night tea time.
To make the sweet and sour sauce simply take a pint jug add in 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup vinegar (white or malt are fine) and a cup of ketchup. Add to this 2 tbs soy sauce and a small tin of pineapple chunks including the juice. You’ll end up with around 3/4 pint of sweet and sour sauce.
Brown the chicken in a wok style pan and then add the sliced onions and peppers, pour over the sauce and simmer for around 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Serve with boiled rice mixed with peas and corn.
Quick and easy tea time recipe the kids will love.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 227g tin of pineapple chunks in juice
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 650g chicken breasts cut into bitesize pieces
- 1 red pepper cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper cut into strips
- 1 large onion cut into wedges
- olive oil
- Mix up the sweet and sour sauce. Add the sugar, vinegar and ketchup to a jug and mix well, add the soy sauce and tinned pineapples (including the juice) and stir to combine.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a large wok and brown the chicken.
- Add the peppers and onions and pour over the sauce, bring to the boil then simmer with the lid slightly ajar for around 15 - 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with boiled rice mixed with peas and sweetcorn
Make Easy Sweet & Sour Chicken your way
- switch chicken for prawns
- add in more vegetables such as baby corn or tin of bamboo shoots
- serve in a soft flour wrap instead of with rice
Get more easy Chinese food recipes here
Get our best chicken recipes here – perfect for weeknight dinner
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get more quick and easy meals here