We’ve gone all Mexican with the hot dogs! This easy family dinner just adds zingy Mexican flavours to a classic hot dog for an easy midweek meal or BBQ. This is an easy family dinner the kids just LOVE!
What do I need to make taco dogs?
Well – I think you can just make these up however you fancy!
Choose what you like and what you know the kids will eat – if you like crusty baguette style bread then grab it – if you want soft brioche hot dog rolls that’s great.
Sometimes I serve taco dogs wrapped in flour tortillas and they’re delicious too.
What toppings to put on taco dogs?
Okay – I absolutely HAVE to to have
But you can mix things up however you like. Try out Mexican hot dog toppings like
- beef chilli
- fresh salad
- salsa verde
- shredded cheese
- soured cream
How to make homemade Mexican dips
Well – if I want a really quick and easy family dinner and I’ve had no time, then shop bought Mexican dips are my go to.
But if I’ve more time and I’m wanting to cook fresh then these Mexican dip recipes below are super easy and all count towards getting your 5-a-day.
Easy guacamole recipe
- Get the guacamole recipe here
- Guacamole ingredients – avocado, lime, spring onions, coriander, chilli and salt
- Time to make = 10 minutes
Easy Mexican tomato salsa recipe
- Get the easy tomato salsa recipe here
- Salsa ingredients – tomatoes, pepper, chilli, salt, lime and coriander
- Time to make = 5 minutes prep – 45 minutes cook
Easy spicy coleslaw recipe
- Get the spicy coleslaw recipe here
- Spicy coleslaw ingredients – red cabbage, carrot, onion, mayonnaise, jalapeño, sweet smoked paprika
- Time to make = 20 minutes
Hot dogs with a Mexican twist
- homemade (or shop bought) guacamole
- homemade(or shop bought) roast tomato salsa
- homemade(or shop bought) spicy coleslaw
- 4 ready to bake baguettes
- 8 hot dog sausages
- First of all make the Mexican toppings - the guacamole, the salsa and the jalapeño slaw. These can be made in advance and just stored in the fridge until ready to use.
- Bake the baguettes in the oven as per the packet instruction.
- Heat the hotdogs as per the packet instructions
What sausages to use for hot dogs?
Well – you can use a jar of hot dog sausages if you’re going for speed – we like the german brands best.
Or you can grab yourself some proper old-fashioned style sausages – try using different flavoured ones.
Or even make the meal healthier by picking up turkey or chicken hot dogs.
Can I make vegetarian taco dogs?
Yep! Of course you can – just switch out the meat sausages for a vegetarian version.
How to serve taco dogs
- Great for a quick easy midweek dinner.
- Get the sausages grilled outdoors and serve up taco dogs at BBQs
Best simple sides for hot dogs
If you’re doing a BBQ or feeding a crowd go all out with the sides – our best simple sides to serve with hot dogs include….
PS… we think you might also just LOVE our Cajun Prawn Flatbread
HIT SUBSCRIBE BELOW AND NEVER MISS A POST!
Browse all our meat recipes here
Get more Mexican recipes here
Get all our delicious sausage recipes here