We’ve gone all Mexican with the hot dogs! This easy family dinner just adds zingy Mexican flavours to a classic hot dog for an easy midweek meal or BBQ. This is an easy family dinner the kids just LOVE!
What do I need to make taco dogs?
Well – I think you can just make these up however you fancy! Choose what you like and what you know the kids will eat – if you like crusty baguette style bread then grab it – if you want soft brioche hot dog rolls that’s great. Sometimes I serve taco dogs wrapped in flour tortillas and they’re delicious too.
What toppings to put on taco dogs?
Okay – I absolutely HAVE to to have
- roast tomato salsa
- spicy jalapeño slaw
But you can mix things up however you like. Try out Mexican hot dog toppings like
- beef chilli
- fresh salad
- salsa verde
- shredded cheese
- soured cream
How to make homemade Mexican dips
Well – if I want a really quick and easy family dinner and I’ve had no time, then shop bought Mexican dips are my go to – but if I’ve more time and I’m wanting to cook fresh then these Mexican dip recipes below are super easy and all count towards getting your 5-a-day.
Easy guacamole recipe
- Get the guacamole recipe here
- Guacamole ingredients – avocado, lime, spring onions, coriander, chilli and salt
- Time to make = 10 minutes
Easy Mexican tomato salsa recipe
- Get the easy tomato salsa recipe here
- Salsa ingredients – tomatoes, pepper, chilli, salt, lime and coriander
- Time to make = 5 minutes prep – 45 minutes cook
Easy spicy coleslaw recipe
- Get the spicy coleslaw recipe here
- Spicy coleslaw ingredients – red cabbage, carrot, onion, mayonnaise, jalapeño, sweet smoked paprika
- Time to make = 20 minutes
Hot dogs with a Mexican twist
- homemade (or shop bought) guacamole
- homemade(or shop bought) roast tomato salsa
- homemade(or shop bought) spicy coleslaw
- 4 ready to bake baguettes
- 8 hot dog sausages
- First of all make the Mexican toppings - the guacamole, the salsa and the jalapeño slaw. These can be made in advance and just stored in the fridge until ready to use.
- Bake the baguettes in the oven as per the packet instruction.
- Heat the hotdogs as per the packet instructions
What sausages to use for hot dogs?
Well – you can use a jar of hot dog sausages if you’re going for speed – we like the german brands best or you can grab yourself some proper old-fashioned style sausages – try using different flavoured ones. Or even make the meal healthier by picking up turkey or chicken hot dogs.
Can I make vegetarian taco dogs?
Yep! Of course you can – just switch out the meat sausages for a vegetarian version.
How to serve taco dogs
- Great for a quick easy midweek dinner.
- Get the sausages grilled outdoors and serve up taco dogs at BBQs
Best simple sides for hot dogs
If you’re doing a BBQ or feeding a crowd go all out with the sides – our best simple sides to serve with hot dogs include….
PS… we think you might also just LOVE our Cajun Prawn Flatbread