Our epic Greek lamb stew is just so good! Mouthwateringly tasty, super easy to make and packed with delicious Greek flavours. This is a recipe you’ll want to cook again and again, a perfect family dinner – great for weekends or laid back dinner with friends.
Tasty lamb dinner recipe you'll love!
- Splash of olive oil or knob of butter
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 400g diced stewing lamb
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp fennel seeds - ground using pestle and mortar
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 150ml white wine
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- handful of black olives - roughly chopped
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- salt & pepper to season
- juice of a small lemon
- 100g feta cheese crumbled
- handful of roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 170C.
- Add a splash of olive oil or knob of butter to a hob/oven safe pan (one with a lid) Add the chopped onions and celery to the pan and fry for 10 minutes over a low heat until softened.
- Tip in the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the diced lamb, cinnamon and fennel seeds and cook gently stirring frequently until browned.
- Pour in the wine and allow to sizzle for a minute or two.
- Tip in the carrots, chopped tomatoes, olives, oregano and bay leaves.
- Pour in the stock - season with salt and pepper to taste, then bring the stew to the boil and then pop on the lid and put the stew into the oven - cook for around 2 hours 30 or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Check the stew around 1 hour into cooking just to check it doesn't need any further stock adding.
- Once the stew is cooked and you're ready to serve - stir in the lemon juice and then sprinkle over the feta cheese and chopped parsley.
Make Lamb Stew your way
- Fancy more veggies? Add in a tin of chickpeas.
- Not keen on Greek flavours – go Indian and flavour the stew with curry paste.
- Want a hit of spice – sprinkle freshly chopped chillies on before serving.
How to serve Greek Lamb stew
- Perfect for a laid back Sunday dinner with lemon and herb roast potatoes and steamed greens.
- Any leftovers taste great with pasta next day.
PS… we think you might also just LOVE our one pot brisket