Don’t wait until summer, wrap up warm and get out on a family road trip. There’s nothing better than finding new places, winter beach trips, fresh air and adventures are good for the soul!
Tempted? There’s a few things to get ready and keep in mind before you head off.
1. Winter road trip family essentials
Load up the car boot with winter road trip essentials, when travelling with kids I usually pack quite a lot of *essentials*
- Dry trainers
- Extra socks
- Extra set of clothes each
- Warm coats
- Rain coats
- Spare jumpers
- Towels (because yes… my kids will still paddle in the sea, even when it’s freezing!)
- Football, frisbee, kite
- Picnic and flasks of coffee – I like coffee so much I take it out with me
- Bottles of drink (drink and snacks are way cheaper if you take them rather than buy from service stations)
- Extra food – cereal bars, drinks, biscuits in case we get stuck in bad weather or traffic jams.
- Blankets for snuggling under on the way home
- Portable charger for the iPhones
- Baby wipes
- Sanitiser hand gel
- Rubbish bags
- Bags for wet clothes
2. Winter road trip car essentials
I always have a few motoring essentials in the car when taking a road trip, especially during the winter.
- Car phone charger
- First aid kit
- Screen wash fluid
- Ice scraper
- Car breakdown service details
- Can of oil
- Bottle of water
3. Road trip – safety check
Before heading off for a long day out or few days away there’s a few thing to check just to keep your home and car as safe as possible.
- If you’re heading off for a few days – turn the water off at the stopcock, then burst pipes and leak damage whilst your away will be minimised.
- Turn off as many electrical appliances as you can.
- Be sure you’ve set the burglar alarm.
- Set the light timers to come on.
- Check your car is road worthy – is it’s MOT up to date? Kwik Fit can help with that. Check tyres, oil level, fill up windscreen fluid and be sure to have enough fuel for the trip.
Some of our favourite road trip destinations in the North
- Robin Hood’s Bay
- Sunderland Point
Disclosure – this is a collaborative post with Kwik Fit – for full details of my disclosure policy please read here.