‘Tis the season to eat, drink and be merry and we’ve got some delicious festive food and drink pairings for you to work your way through!
The big parties may be on hold this year, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy ourselves at home with nice food and nice drinks. So we’ll start with the wine.
Siddùra Spèra 2019 | Vermentino di Gallura DOCG
This fabulous Vermentino from Sardinia is perfect for serving over Christmas. It’s a dry but incredibly fresh, light wine with zingy lemon note. It’s ideal for serving alongside seafood, chicken, light pasta dishes and little festive nibbles.
We think this lovely Vermentino would pair nicely with…
- homemade pesto, tossed through freshly cooked pasta
- our sea bass traybake as a lighter festive meal
- serve with grilled prawns or squid, simply dressed with olive oil, lemon and garlic
- alongside a light festive crostini – topped with prosciutto and figs and little drizzle of olive oil.
Massimago Profasio Valpolicella Superiore Doc 2015
A lovely smooth Italian red from the Verona region. A bold, full bodied wine with a smooth finish. We think this wine would pair well with a Christmas Dinner of roasted turkey or pork with all the trimmings.
A robust red that can easily hold its own against rich meaty dishes, hearty pasta numbers and even game. Try serving with…
- a homemade lasagne
- oven baked bolognese
Buy fine Italian wines from the Italian Wine Specialists at Independent Wines here.
What to eat with vodka?
Wondering what food to serve with vodka? We’ve got some great appetiser ideas that go great with vodka on the rocks or a vodka cocktail.
- Smoked salmon nibbles
- Pickled vegetables
- Bilini topped with fish or caviar
- Smoked trout pate on little charcoal infused cracker breads
- Smoked cheeses
- Devilled eggs
Vodka Cocktail Recipes To Try
Fancy a cocktail? Try one of our cocktail recipes here
What to eat with gin?
Wondering what food to eat with gin? We’ve got some great little nibble ideas that go great with a gin and tonic. I always think gin goes very well alongside spicy food. Try serving with…
- An Indian inspired party platter – little bitesized onion bajji, vegetable pakora, mini chicken tikka kebabs, or popadom with pickle tray.
- Italian nibbles with a hint of spice – try crostini with prawns marinated in lemon and chillies. Maybe some homemade pizzas topped with new potatoes, chilli flakes and drizzle of olive oil.
Gin Cocktails To Try
Get more alcohol drinks recipes here
What to eat with whisky?
Wondering what to eat with whisky? Well, we’ve got you covered! Pour that whisky, on the rocks or with a mixer and eat your way through our food suggestions…
Loads more ideas for family celebrations here!
Savoury Food To Serve With Whisky
Whisky works well with bold, rich, flavoursome food, try serving alongside…
- Cheese, you want strong cheese here, a tangy mature Cheddar, a nice blue cheese, or a baked Brie, simply with crackers or fresh crusty, still warm from the oven bread.
- Steak. Whisky can stand up to a steak – serve mini cheesesteak sandwiches or steak tartare with your tipple.
- A really good sausage roll or Scotch egg go well with a tot of whisky. Go for big bold flavours, maybe even a little black pudding in the mix.
Sweet Food To Serve With Whisky
Whisky goes alongside a good dessert effortlessly. Try serving with…
- a rich chocolate torte with splash of double cream
- a tangy deep filled apple pie or crumble with lashings of custard
- a dark chocolate tasting tray
Whisky Cocktails To Try
Food To Eat With Rum
Wondering what food to eat with rum? Well it’s super easy to pair rum with great food – think happy, tasty, feel good food when pairing with rum. Definitely fun with a happy vibe! Try serving rum and cola or rum cocktails with any of the following eats!
- Fried chicken and waffles
- Dirty loaded hotdogs
- Pineapple fritters with honey lime dip
- Chicken tacos
- Loaded nachos
Rum Cocktails To Try
Loads more ideas for Christmas celebrations here!
What To Eat With Cider
A lovely bottle of fruity cider is easy to pair with food. Try serving any of the following…
- Homemade posh sausage rolls
- Gourmet scotch eggs
- Kettle crisps
- Salted nuts
- Smoked cheeses
You might also love our mulled cider recipe here.
You can buy the Cranes Cider Gift Set here.
Get more drink recipes here
Please drink responsibly
For full details of my disclosure policy please read here.