After the fun and chaos of the Christmas holidays I cannot wait to get my house back straight and feeling fresh, clean and airy!
Follow my foolproof tips for a gleaming post holiday house in no time! And… the more enthusiastic the cleaning, the more of those Christmas calories I know I’ll burn off!
Tidy away Christmas decorations
- Take down the tree – if it’s real take it to a recycling point, if it’s an artificial one, pack away in it’s box.
- Wrap all the Christmas ornaments and store neatly – using egg boxes is a good way to store the smaller ones and protect them from damage.
- Wrap tinsel, garlands and lights neatly so they don’t become tangled.
- Be sure to write down any addresses from Christmas cards and then toss them in the recycling.
Have a post Christmas sort out
- Get each member of the family to go through their belongings and sort out anything that they no longer want – you could either donate, sell or bin the items depending on the condition and value.
Get on with the cleaning
Over the Christmas holiday, especially with the kids being off school for a couple of weeks, there’s usually lots of mess and loads of areas of the house that have been neglected whilst we concentrated on celebrating the festivities and having fun!
- First up is always throw open all the windows wide and fill the house with fresh air.
- Then I take a laundry basket and walk around the house filling it with everything that needs putting away and put it away.
- Next strip the beds and get the dirty bedding into the washing machine.
- Then I pick up and sort out the laundry mountain and work through this as I clean up the rest of the house – stopping to reload the washing machine and dryer whenever the cycle finishes.
- Then I deep clean the bathrooms | Read more about deep cleaning the bathroom here
- Next up is a deep clean of the kitchen, I also go through the fridge and cupboards tossing away any food that’s past it’s best and making a note of anything that needs using up so I can fit it into the weeks meal plan | Read more about deep cleaning the kitchen here
- Then I clean the windows, they’re usually full of fingerprints and smudges so do need a good clean, I like to make up my own window cleaner as it gives the windows a streak free shine | Get the natural window cleaner recipe here
- I then remove the cushions from the sofa and vacuum the sofa – using the vacuum accessories to get right down the crevices which are usually full of crumbs or bits of LEGO.
- Then I polish and dust the entire house all the surfaces in every room.
- Finally vacuum throughout the house and mop the floors | Read more about cleaning laminate flooring here.
You might also like our easy housework routine