A beautiful summery cake loaded with fresh raspberries and thickly whipped double cream. Raspberry and fresh cream cake makes a lovely simple celebration cake, ideal for birthdays or parties.
This is the cake my children always ask for as birthday cake! Delicious vanilla flavoured sponge, whipped cream and fresh raspberries – what’s not to love?
Mouthwateringly delicious summer raspberry sponge cake
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar (we used Sainsbury’s Vanilla Infused Sugar)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs milk
- 1/2 jar of raspberry jam
- 300g raspberries
- 300ml tub of double cream
- icing sugar to dust
- Heat the oven to 190C and grease two 20cm sandwich cake tins.
- In large bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs and mix well to combine.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Add the milk to loosen the mixture slightly.
- Split the mixture equally between the cake tins and smooth the cake batter down with a spatula.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until a skewer when inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Once the cake is cool -
- Spread the bottom cake with a good thick layer of jam.
- Whip the cream with the seeds out of the vanilla pod (the pod is in the sugar tub) until it’s stiff and spreadable - layer this onto the jam.
- Press raspberries into the cream and then add the top cake layer and sandwich together.
- Using a sieve dust the top of the cake with icing sugar.
This cake is also delicious made using strawberry jam and fresh sliced strawberries.
If you’re not using vanilla infused sugar add a tsp of vanilla extract to the eggs when beating and add a tsp of vanilla extract to the cream when whipping.