Our grilled pineapple skewers are super easy and make the perfect zingy dessert to go with BBQ food.
Grilled pineapple skewers are just the perfect summer BBQ dessert recipe – they’re super simple to make and oh so delicious served with vanilla ice cream, frozen yogurt or Greek yogurt with just a sprinkling of homemade mint sugar to finish them off.
You can make our pineapple skewers up ahead of time so that when BBQ time comes they just need whipping out of the fridge and putting onto the grill.
They cook and caramelise gorgeously in the heat and will only take a few minutes to be cooked to perfection.
Now if you’re wondering about how to make your own minted sugar that’s super easy too and just has two ingredients – fresh mint and caster sugar.
I use a gorgeous strawberry mint which tastes and smells just like juicy, minty strawberries – it’s perfect for loads of summer recipes and salads. Totally worth hunting out and buying some plants to grow in the garden, or just in a little pot on the kitchen windowsill.
Grilled Pineapple Skewers Ingredients
- a fresh whole pineapple
- big handful of freshly picked mint leaves
- 5 tbs caster sugar
- kebab sticks
Grilled Pineapple Skewers Recipe
- If using wooden kebab sticks soak the sticks in water for a few hours before using – then they won’t burn.
- Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple and peel the skin off using a sharp knife.
- Cut the pineapple into strips lengthways (avoiding the tough inner core) – then cut the strips into chunky bitesized cubes
- Thread the pineapple chunks onto the kebab sticks and rub with the minted sugar (see below for recipe)
- Grill the pineapple kebabs for a couple of minutes each side until they start to sizzle and caramelise then serve.
How to make minted sugar
- Pick the mint leaves from the sprigs of mint and place them into a pestle and mortar.
- Tip in the caster sugar
- Bash and grind the mint leaves into the sugar for 3-4 minutes, the sugar will start to turn a greenish colour.
- The minted sugar is ready when all the mint is finely ground into the sugar.
Make grilled pineapple skewers your way…
- You could add a kick of heat to your fruit kebabs and sprinkle on some chilli flakes
- If you can’t be faffed making the minted sugar just drizzle over some honey before you grill for a sweet sticky taste.
- Add in some fresh peaches amongst the pineapple to mix things up.
How to serve grilled pineapple skewers
Well you can eat these just as they are – although let them cool a little first grilled fruit gets really hot!
But… they’re extra nice served with vanilla ice-cream, frozen yogurt or thick creamy Greek yogurt with an extra sprinkling of the mint sugar.
Get more BBQ recipes here
Love fresh fruit desserts? Try these
- Juicy summer berry and melon salad – a fresh fruit salad perfect for easy dessert or brunch.
- Easy Eton Mess – cheat your way to a deliciously easy Eton Mess dessert with fresh juicy raspberries
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries – this super easy dessert never fails to make people really happy!
- 1 pineapple
- large handful of mint leaves
- 6tbs caster sugar
- If using wooden kebab sticks soak them in water first.
- Cut the top and bottom off the pinapple and peel using a sharp knife.
- Cut the pineapple into strips - avoiding the tough core.
- Cut the strips into bitesize chunks and thread onto kebab sticks.
- To make the mint sugar add the mint leaves and sugar to a pestle and mortar and bash and grind until all the mint is ground into the sugar.
- Rub the pineapple kebabs with minted sugar and then grill for 2-3 minutes a side or until caramelising and sticky.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 63Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 0g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our grilled pineapple skewers on Pinterest for later!
Get all our easy dessert recipes here
Love sweet stuff? – get our most delicious recipes here