We’ve teamed up with Centre Point, the UK’s leading youth homelessness charity to tell you all about their new fundraising initiative The Big Broth!
The Big Broth competition is looking for an exciting new soup recipe, which Yorkshire Provender will produce from this autumn, with 20p of every pot sold going straight to funding Centre Point’s work with young homeless people in London and other major UK cities.
Celebrity judges – including award-winning chef Aldo Zilli, founder of the Wahaca group of Mexican restaurants Thomasina Miers and editor of Waitrose Kitchen magazine, William Sitwell – will narrow down the entries and choose five finalists who’ll then be invited to London to cook their recipe in front of a celebrity panel. The winning soup will be available to buy from Winter 2018.
Hurry over and enter – you’ve only got until the end of March!
We’ve been cooking up a panful of Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup to get you in the soup-y mood.
Delicious hearty vegetarian soup
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 red onion - finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - sliced
- 1 clove garlic - finely chopped
- 1 large carrot - finely diced
- 1 red pepper - diced
- 1 courgette - fluffy seeds removed and diced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds - toasted and ground in a pestle and mortar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 150ml red wine
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin cannellini beans
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- handful of chopped basil leaves
- parmesan and olive oil to serve
- Add a splash of olive oil to a saucepan - gently sauté the onion, celery, garlic and carrots for 10 minutes over a low heat until they're softening.
- Add the courgettes and peppers - turn up the heat and pour in the wine - it should sizzle.
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock, stir in the fennel seeds and dried oregano, season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and scatter over grated parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and a scattering of basil leaves.
Make Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup your way
- Feel free to mix up the veggies – add the ones you like or just veggies that need using up.
- Switch the cannellini beans for chickpeas, lentils or borlotti beans.
How to serve Hearty Italian Vegetable Soup
- Delicious for lunch with some focaccia.
Disclosure – post in collaboration with Centre Point, vegetables to cook the soup were provided free of charge – for full details of my disclosure policy please read here