Our DIY homemade carpet freshener is made using only two ingredients and will blitz through stale odours to leave your carpet smelling fresh with the natural scent of lavender.
Affiliate Disclosure – I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post. If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure policy here
How to make homemade carpet freshener
It’s super easy to make your own natural homemade carpet freshener and really give your carpets and rugs a lift.
Over time carpets and rugs can pick up stale odours. In my house it’s usually the whiff of dog and doggy smelling carpets and rugs are never a good thing.
At home I do prefer to use natural cleaning products where I can and so like to mix up my own carpet freshener.
Our homemade carpet freshener uses a mixture of baking soda and dried lavender.
We use baking soda carpet freshener because the baking soda naturally absorbs odours and the dried lavender leaves a lovely fresh, clean scent on the rug and in the room.
Together they work really well to deodorize carpet.
What you need to make homemade carpet freshener
- 1/4 cup dried lavender
- Glass jar and a spoon for mixing the carpet freshener together.
I buy the dried ingredients in bulk from Amazon and keep in stock at home so I can make up batches of carpet freshener whenever necessary.
Get more living room cleaning tips here
How to make homemade carpet freshener
You can just double or triple the recipe to use on larger carpeted areas.
- Measure out your ingredients and tip them into a jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake well to mix up the baking soda and lavender – alternatively mix the ingredients together with a spoon.
How to freshen carpet using homemade carpet freshener
- First give the carpet a really good vacuum to remove any dust or hair that’s in the pile.
- Then just sprinkle the baking soda carpet freshener across your carpet or rug as evenly as you can.
- Leave it on the carpet for at least and hour longer if possible. I usually try to leave mine overnight if I can.
- Once its sat on the carpet for the required time, just vacuum it all off – this actually makes the vacuum smell nice too!
- I try to do this every couple of weeks just to keep on top of any stale odours. I find it a really good carpet odour eliminator.
You can get more green cleaning tips and eco cleaning product reviews here.
Before using our carpet refresher take note of the cautions below!
- Be sure there is no wet patches or dampness at all on the rug and that the carpet freshener doesn’t get wet whilst on the rug, otherwise it’ll make a sticky paste that will be difficult to clean off.
- I’m happy to use this on my carpets and to vacuum it up but you might want to check the vacuum manufacturers instructions and patch test on the carpet or rug if worried.
Homemade cleaning products
If you like to make your own cleaning products UK measurements – then you can get more of our cleaning recipes right here.
More easy home cleaning tips to try
- 20 things at home you really should be cleaning – areas of your home that probably get overlooked with your regular cleaning routine and could really do with a scrub!
- Spring clean the bathroom – get our spring cleaning checklist and really give the bathroom a thorough deep clean.
- 10 things people with a clean house do everyday – want a clean house? Follow these top tips!
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 2 tbs dried lavender
- Small bowl or jar
- Tip the baking soda and dried lavender into a bowl or jar and mix together well.
- Use as required
For a clean and tidy home get our BEST cleaning tips here
Save our carpet freshener to Pinterest for your next cleaning session!
Get more home and garden tips here
For full details of my disclosure policy please read here.