The lovely people over at Riverford sent over some amazingly vibrant purple carrots and I couldn’t wait to get making some delicious purple food – starting with our version of a healthy coleslaw – I mean, who wouldn’t want purple slaw?
We’ve switched the fatty mayonnaise dressing for a healthier flavour packed zingy orange-y olive oil dressing.
Fresh and vibrant heathy slaw
- 2 purple carrots - cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 small red cabbage - shredded
- 1/4 red onion - finely sliced
- 1 dessertspoonful of sunflower seeds
- 1 tbs olive oil
- juice 1/2 orange
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch sea salt
- In a large bowl toss together the shredded veggies.
- Put the dressing ingredients into a small bottle and shake well to combine.
- To serve - take out the amount of slaw you want and toss with a little dressing, again to suit your taste, as much or as little as you like.
- Toss over sunflower seeds just before you serve.
Make heathy purple coleslaw your way
- Add in some more veggies – shredded fennel or apple would work well here.
- Go creamy with the dressing and skip our salad dressing in favour of more traditional mayonnaise.
How to serve healthy purple coleslaw
- Keeping with the healthy theme – this would be great served alongside vegetarian kebabs.
- Serve as a side to bean burgers or grilled chicken or fish.
Disclosure – I was sent a Riverford veg box free of charge in exchange for this post – for full details of my disclosure policy please read here.