Homemade lemon barley water is delicious, refreshing and soothing. It’s a fab little pick-me up drink if you’re under the weather.
Homemade lemon barley water
Soothing, delicious lemon barley water
- 2 lemons
- 50g sugar
- 125g pearl barley
- 1.2l boiling water
- Give the barley a good rinse under cold running water.
- Then put it into a pan with the lemon zest and sugar.
- Pour over the boiling water, then bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Strain the barley water into a jug and add the juice from both lemons, stir gently.
- Pour into a clean bottle and keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Make lemon barley water your way…
- Add in zest and juice of oranges instead or as well as lemons.
- Add some warmth and finely grate in some fresh root ginger.
- Infuse the lemon barley water with spices like clove, fennel or juniper.
Drink lemon barley water…
- As a refreshing alternative to tea or coffee.
- When you’re under the weather.
- With ice on hot days.