If water is draining too slowly when you pull out the plug then it’s probably time to use our homemade natural drain cleaner.
You can easily mix up your own plug hole cleaner at home which doesn’t use horrible toxic chemicals, great if you’ve got young kids at home and you like to do things the green way.
To make the homemade drain cleaner we use Dry-Pak soda crystals.
Soda crystals are a great all purpose cleaning product to have in at home, in fact your grandma probably used soda crystals for lots of her household cleaning jobs.
Get More How To Clean Tips Here
They’re very versatile then can be used not only for unclogging drains and plug holes but also in laundry, as a general purpose cleaner and degreaser in the kitchen, to clean the washing machine and even to clean paths, patios and driveways outdoors.
As with all cleaning products though you need to keep it well out of the way of children as it is an irritant and is particularly nasty if you get it in your eyes.
Oh and note – soda crystals are not suitable for use on aluminium or lacquered surfaces.
Love a clean bathroom? All our easy bathroom cleaning tips are here.
What You Need To Make The Homemade Natural Drain Cleaner
You literally just need three things to keep your drains running smoothly.
- 1 cup of soda crystals
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- kettle full of boiling water
You might also like our 20 uses for baking soda here
How To Make Homemade Natural Drain Cleaner
Okay you’re going to love how simple this homemade drain cleaner is to make!
Step One – fill the plughole with soda crystals
- Simply tip the cup of soda crystals down the plug hole – you may need to use 2 cups if the drain is particularly large or dirty.
- Let the soda crystals sit in the plughole for a couple of minutes.
You might also like our Natural Window Cleaner
Step Two – add the white vinegar
- Pour the cup of white vinegar down the plughole on top of the soda crystals and let the two fizz together and side in the plug hole for a good 5-10 minutes.
Step Three – rinse everything away
- Pour a full kettle of boiling water down the plug hole and then rinse away any residue using the water from the hot tap.
If the drain is still running a little slow – just repeat the steps above.
For a clean and tidy home get our BEST cleaning tips here
More Green Cleaning Methods To Try
- Homemade Carpet Freshener – A DIY homemade carpet freshener made using only two ingredients and it will blitz through stale odours to leave your carpet smelling fresh with the natural scent of lavender.
- Clean The Washing Machine With Soda Crystals and White Vinegar – The easy way to clean the washing machine with soda crystals and white vinegar and help keep it mould and mildew free.
- How To Air The Bed – here’s how to air the bed properly and why you should do it every single day!
If you like to make your own cleaning products UK measurements – then you can get more of our cleaning recipes right here.
Get more home and garden tips here