Our DIY rug freshener uses only 2 ingredients and will blitz through stale odours to leave your rug smelling fresh with the natural scent of lavender.
How to make DIY rug freshener
It’s super easy to make your own natural homemade rug freshener and really give your rugs a lift.
Over time carpets and rugs can pick up odours, in my house it’s usually the whiff of dog and doggy smelling rugs are never a good thing. At home I do prefer to use natural remedies and product where I can and so like to mix up my own rug freshener.
Our homemade rug freshener uses a mixture of baking soda and dried lavender. The baking soda naturally absorbs odours and the dried lavender leaves a lovely fresh, clean scent on the rug and in the room. Together they work really well as a carpet deodorizer.
What you need to make homemade rug freshener
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup dried lavender
How to make homemade rug freshener
- Measure out your ingredients and tip them into a jar.
- Put the lid on the jar and shake well to mix up the baking soda and lavender.
How to use homemade rug freshener
- Just sprinkle across your rug as evenly as you can.
- Leave it on there at least and hour, I leave mine overnight.
- Vacuum it off.
- I try to do this every couple of weeks.
- Be sure there is no dampness at all on the rug and that the freshener doesn’t get wet whilst on the rug, otherwise it’ll make a sticky paste.
- I’m happy to use this on my carpets and to vacuum it up but you might want to check the vacuum manufacturers instructions and patch test on the rug if worried.