Homemade Salt & Pepper Chips – Chinese Style. You won’t believe how tasty and easy our cheat recipe is. Mmmm salt and pepper chips… GET IN MY BELLY!
Easy Salt & Pepper Chip Recipe
Quick and easy homemade Chinese style salt and pepper chips.
Perfect for when you just NEED them… These are so easy to make and so delicious to eat, I can see a little habit developing here.
Salt and Pepper Chips Ingredients
Well this is a cheat recipe so we use McCain French Fries oven chips because there’s always a bag of them in the freezer. Then we add a little salt & pepper spice mix and cook in the oven like usual.
- 500g French Fries – Oven Chips
- 1 tsp Szechuan pepper
- 1 tsp Five spice powder
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 4 Spring onions – finely sliced
- 1 Red chilli – finely chopped
- Small bunch coriander – roughly chopped
How to make salt and pepper chips at home
Firstly prepare the ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 230C (or check the packet instructions for oven temperature settings)
- Finely slice the spring onions
- Finely chop the red chillies
- Make the Chinese spice mix – grind the Szechuan pepper, the five spice powder and the sea salt using the pestle and mortar.
- Grind the spice mix as finely as you like.
- Scatter the Chinese spice mix over the oven chips.
- Scatter over half the spring onions.
- Toss everything together to coat all the chips with spice mix.
- Cook the chips in the oven for around 15-17 minutes as per the packet instructions.
- Gather together the ingredients for topping the salt and pepper chips once they come out of the oven.
- Once the chips are cooked – scatter over the sliced spring onions and red chillies.
- Just before serving scatter over the chopped coriander.
Salt and Pepper Chips Spice Mix
The key to authentic tasting salt and pepper chips is definitely Szechuan pepper and five spice powder – these bring all the taste of Chinese food in one hit.
It’s 100% worth looking out for Szechuan pepper it’s really handy to have in at home it adds a delicious spicy Chinese twist to stir fries or a quick vegetable fried rice with eggs, peas and spring onions.
Make Chinese style salt and pepper chips your way
- Don’t fancy Chinese style? Then opt for smoky spicy fries – grab the recipe here.
- Make them even spicier – use a hot chilli and sprinkle more on.
How to serve Chinese style salt and pepper chips
Delicious alongside our sweet chilli chicken wrap – honestly the kids will LOVE this for dinner, tender chicken breast pieces in spicy sauce with salad all wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla.
- Perfect with chicken kebabs and salad.
- Fab for a quick and tasty weeknight dinner alongside any chicken, fish or steak.
More easy chip and wedges recipes to make
- 500g frozen French fries
- 1 tsp Szechuan pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- pinch sea salt flakes
- 4 spring onions
- 1 red chilli
- small bunch coriander
- Heat the oven to 230C
- Spread the fries in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Grind the Szechuan pepper, five spice powder and sea salt with a pestle and mortar.
- Sprinkle the spice mix and half the spring onions over the friest and toss everything together with your hands to coat them all.
- Cook in the oven for 15-17 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the rest of the spring onions, the chopped chillies and the chopped coriander.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 934mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 13g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.