Homemade Salt & Pepper Chips – Chinese Style. You won’t believe how tasty and easy our cheat recipe is. Mmmm salt and pepper chips… GET IN MY BELLY!
Easy Salt & Pepper Chip Recipe
Quick and easy homemade Chinese style salt and pepper chips. Perfect for when you just NEED them… These are so easy to make and so delicious to eat, I can see a little habit developing here.
Salt and Pepper Chips Ingredients
Well this is a cheat recipe so we use McCain French Fries oven chips because there’s always a bag of them in the freezer. The we add a little salt & pepper spice mix and cook in the oven like usual.
Salt and Pepper Chips Spice Mix
The key to authentic tasting salt and pepper chips is definitely Szechuan pepper and five spice powder – these bring all the taste of Chinese food in one hit.
AT LAST! Chinese style salt and pepper chips at home.
- 500g frozen oven chips - I use the McCain French Fries for this recipe.
- 1 tsp Szechuan pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 spring onions - finely chopped
- 1 chilli - finely sliced
- small bunch of coriander - roughly chopped.
- Heat the oven to 230C.
- Spread the fries in a single layer on a baking tray.
- Grind the Szechuan pepper, five spice powder and sea salt with a pestle and mortar.
- Sprinkle the spice mix and half the spring onions over the fries and toss the fries with your fingers to coat everything - then spread them back in a single layer.
- Cook in the oven for 14-16 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle over the rest of the spring onions, the chopped chilli and the chopped coriander.
Make Chinese style salt and pepper chips your way
- Don’t fancy Chinese style? Then opt for smoky spicy fries – grab the recipe here.
- Make them even spicier – use a hot chilli and sprinkle more on.
How to serve Chinese style salt and pepper chips
- Delicious alongside our sweet chilli chicken wrap.
- Perfect with chicken kebabs and salad.
- Fab for a quick and tasty weeknight dinner alongside any chicken, fish or steak.