Ditch the canned sauces and cook up a total feast with our homemade sloppy joe recipe. Flavourful, easy and ready in just 30 minutes – perfect for easy weeknight dinner.
How to make homemade sloppy joes
Okay – sloppy joes are just so easy to cook – you really can’t mess up! AND the kids just LOVE them – total dinner winner!
Grab a large skillet and toss in the olive oil – onions, peppers and celery – soften for a few minutes then add the ground beef and brown – throw in the passata, spices and seasoning – bring to the boil and then simmer lid off for around 20 minutes – SO EASY!
If you’re feeding a crowd just double or treble the recipe. Simple.
To make up your sloppy joes – grab your bread rolls (toast them if you like) load them up with the sloppy joe meat and then top with cheese and add a side of pickles.
Can you make sloppy joes in a crockpot?
Sure you can! Add all the ingredients – give it a mix together and then cook on high for around 3-4 house or low for around 6 hours. Cooking in the crockpot can make the meat sauce a little more liquid so thicken with a teaspoon of cornflour mixed into a drop of cold water and stirred through the sauce cook for a few minutes to thicken.
Deliciously easy family dinner for a busy weeknight.
- 1 onion - finely diced
- splash of olive oil
- 1 red pepper - finely diced
- 2 sticks celery - finely sliced
- 500g minced beef
- 300g passata
- 2 tsp BBQ spice mix
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt & pepper to season
- Add a splash of olive oil to the saucepan and fry the onion, pepper and celery over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the minced beef and fry for 5 minutes to brown
- Add the passata, BBQ spice mix and Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper, bring the pan to the boil and then simmer with the lid on for around 20 minutes.
- One cooked serve in soft burger rolls, topped with cheese and pickles if you like.
Can I make vegetarian sloppy joes?
Yes – and it’s super easy – switch out the ground beef for veggie mince or a tinned lentils. Go vegan with the sloppy joes and skip the cheese.
What can I do with sloppy joe meat?
If you’ve got leftover sloppy joe meat there’s loads of ways you can use it up.
- Serve spooned over rice and sprinkled with shredded cheese.
- Stir through freshly cooked rice for a quick version of dirty rice.
- Serve spooned over creamy mashed potatoes or stuff into baked potatoes.
- Use the leftover sloppy joe meat to fill pasties – get the pasty recipe here.
- Use to top fries and serve as loaded fries with shredded cheese and jalapeño.
- Stuff into tacos or burritos with beans and salad.