It just wouldn’t be Halloween and Bonfire Night without a few toffee apples to munch on… A real easy family recipe.
Get all our Halloween recipes here – perfect for fuelling up your little ghosts and ghouls!
Loads more ideas for family celebrations here!
- 8 apples
- 8 lollipop sticks
- 100ml water
- 3tbs golden syrup
- 400g caster sugar
- 1tsp vinegar
- 3tsp red food colouring
- drop of olive oil
- jug of cold water to hand
- First give the apples a good wash and then rub them dry.
- Then put the lollipop sticks into them - I do this by tapping them in using a rolling pin as a ‘hammer’.
- Grease an old roasting tin with the olive oil.
- In a saucepan over a low heat put 100ml water, caster sugar, syrup, vinegar and food colouring and warm gently until the sugar has dissolved - stir the whole time using a metal spoon.
- Once the sugar has dissolved stop stirring and bring the toffee mixture to the boil - be careful here that you don’t let it over boil.
- Allow the mixture to boil for around 5 minutes and then start to test the toffee. Do this by scooping out a teaspoonful and dropping it into the jug of cold water. When the toffee is ready it will form a hard snappable piece of toffee in the water. If it doesn’t then continue to boil for a few more minutes and then re-test.
- Once the toffee is ready - take it from the heat and quickly swirl your apples in the toffee to coat them. Work fast here!
- When they are coated place them on the greased tray and put them in the fridge to set hard.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 4gSugar: 76gProtein: 0g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get all our easy dessert recipes here
Get more Bonfire Night food and celebration ideas here!
Get more fruit ideas and fresh fruit recipes here
Get loads more Halloween ideas here
Love sweet stuff? – get our most delicious recipes here