It just wouldn’t be Halloween and Bonfire Night without a few toffee apples to munch on… A real easy family recipe.
- 8 apples
- 8 lollipop sticks
- 100ml water
- 3tbs golden syrup
- 400g caster sugar
- 1tsp vinegar
- 3tsp red food colouring
- drop of olive oil
- jug of cold water to hand
- First give the apples a good wash and then rub them dry.
- Then put the lollipop sticks into them - I do this by tapping them in using a rolling pin as a ‘hammer’.
- Grease an old roasting tin with the olive oil.
- In a saucepan over a low heat put 100ml water, caster sugar, syrup, vinegar and food colouring and warm gently until the sugar has dissolved - stir the whole time using a metal spoon.
- Once the sugar has dissolved stop stirring and bring the toffee mixture to the boil - be careful here that you don’t let it over boil.
- Allow the mixture to boil for around 5 minutes and then start to test the toffee. Do this by scooping out a teaspoonful and dropping it into the jug of cold water. When the toffee is ready it will form a hard snappable piece of toffee in the water. If it doesn’t then continue to boil for a few more minutes and then re-test.
- Once the toffee is ready - take it from the heat and quickly swirl your apples in the toffee to coat them. Work fast here!
- When they are coated place them on the greased tray and put them in the fridge to set hard.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 347Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 4gSugar: 76gProtein: 0g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.