Top tips for how to clean laminate flooring properly and look after it to keep it looking good.
Affiliate Disclosure – I have included affiliate links to useful products and services related to the topic of this post. If you purchase via the links I may earn a commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure policy here
Laminate flooring is a great investment and can really transform the look and vibe of your home.
Once it’s installed you’re going to want to take good care of it to keep it looking great for years to come.
Cleaning laminate flooring is actually really quick and easy to do and you won’t need a whole lot of expensive equipment and products.
How to clean laminate flooring
Firstly I’d always recommend you refer to manufacturers instructions with regards to any specific care instructions and recommended cleaning products because using the wrong products can invalidate warranty.
How to clean laminate floors
A few simple do’s and don’ts about caring for and cleaning your laminate flooring.
How do you clean dust and dirt from laminate floors
It’s worth taking a few minutes each day to remove dust and dirt from laminate flooring – daily cleaning means that dirt doesn’t build up and it will require mopping less.
- You can brush laminate floors daily to remove any dust and dirt. Use a soft bristle sweeping brush and simply brush any debris into a dustpan and throw into the bin.
- If sweeping isn’t your thing you can quickly vacuum to clean the laminate floors daily. Be sure to use the hard floor vacuum tool so that you don’t scratch or damage the laminate.
How to clean spills off laminate floor
The key here is to deal with spills quickly and as soon as they happen – this will limit the damage they could cause.
Laminate flooring is not completely waterproof and so liquid can seep into it and cause bubbles or warping.
- Wipe up spills quickly – soak up as much of the spill or splashes as you can using paper kitchen roll. Then using a well wrung out damp cloth clean the spill area and dry with a soft clean towel.
You might just LOVE our living room cleaning tips here!
How to clean grease off laminate flooring
You need to act fast with grease as it’s easier to remove if it’s dealt with immediately.
- Soak up the grease using paper kitchen towels as soon as it is spilled.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of white vinegar with a cup of water and squirt of dishwashing liquid. Dampen a cleaning cloth in this solution and rub the stain. If the stain is large or old and the white vinegar isn’t effective you may need to buy a professional degreaser laminate cleaner.
For a clean and tidy home get our BEST cleaning tips here
How to clean laminate flooring – mopping laminate
Okay – the key thing to remember here again is that laminate isn’t waterproof and that getting it overly wet will cause damage to the finish and could also warp the laminate.
Mop laminate carefully!
- Ideally mop laminate no more than once a week – a couple at most.
- If mopping with a traditional mop and bucket – use a microfibre mop head that can be wrung out really well so it’s scarcely wet. It should be just damp.
- You can clean laminate flooring with a cleaning solution of – 3 litres warm water, 1/4 cup white vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing liquid. This is a gentle cleaning solution and the white vinegar should cut through any greasy build up.
- To regain the laminate shine after mopping you can buff dry with a soft clean towel or go over it with a clean dry microfibre floor mop.
- My preferred way for cleaning laminate flooring is to use a spray mop – these mops spray a small amount of floor cleaner onto the laminate which you can just swish over with the mop and clean any marks away.
Get more great housework tips here
Laminate floor care tips
- Make sure you have door mats by all external doors to avoid bringing in excess dirt onto the laminate floors.
- Place soft casters or pads under furniture legs to prevent marking or scratches on the floors.
- Don’t drag or push furniture around laminate flooring – pick it up where possible to avoid scratches and dents.
Love a clean kitchen? Get our best kitchen cleaning tips here.
Best Laminate Floor Cleaner
I have a few favourites when it comes to cleaning laminate flooring – I tend to swap and change between them – but they’re all good!
- Method Wood Floor Cleaner – this is lovely and smells of almonds!
- CIF Wood Cleaner – again lovely smell and cleans really well.
Love a clean and tidy home?
Want to know how to really clean your house and get organised? You can get our housework and BEST cleaning tips here.
Get more floor cleaning tips here
Get more home & garden ideas here
For full details of my disclosure policy please read here.
Get more floor cleaning tips here
Get more home and garden tips here
Get more kitchen cleaning tips here
Get more living room cleaning tips here