The easy way to clean the fridge – keeping it fresh, clean and well organised in just a few minutes – easy cleaning tips that work!
How to clean the fridge
Keeping the fridge clean and well organised is really important. After all it’s where you keep your food and if you don’t keep the fridge clean it will become a bacteria magnet…
Clean the fridge as you use it
Every time you use an item from the fridge be sure to wipe off any spills or drips on the bottles, that way the fridge won’t get sticky. Wipe up any spills in the fridge as soon as they happen.
How to clean the fridge weekly
The fridge needs a thorough weekly clean – it’s best to do this the day before you do the weekly shop.
- Remove all the food from the fridge
- Run a sink of warm water – add some dishwashing liquid.
- Remove all the shelves, door compartments and drawers and wash and dry well.
- Wipe out the inside of the fridge using a cloth soaked in warm soapy water.
- Wipe in the door seal – this can often get crumbs gathering in it.
- Dry the fridge with paper kitchen towels.
- Put all the shelves, door compartments and drawers back into the fridge.
- Put the food back into the fridge – checking the use by dates and discarding any food past it’s best.
- Clean the outside of the fridge and wipe the door handles.
How to clean the fridge monthly
Pull the fridge out and vacuum behind and underneath it. Use the soft bristle brush vacuum attachment to vacuum the back of the fridge to remove any dust build up.
Can I use vinegar to clean my fridge?
You can use white vinegar to clean the fridge – it’s best to make it into a spray – 1 part vinegar, 2 parts warm soapy water – then spray – leave the door open and wipe clean.
How often should I clean the fridge?
Well… the fridge is where you keep your food and spills or spoiled food can cause bacteria build up so it’s best to give it a thorough clean out once a week.
How to get rid of a bad smell from the fridge
First – empty it and clean it using the cleaning tips above. Next leave a container of baking soda in the fridge – this absorbs smells – also try putting in a few cut lemons for a fresh lemon scent.
Can I use bleach to clean the fridge?
I don’t ever use bleach in the fridge – the smell tends to linger and nobody wants to eat food that stinks of bleach! If I’ve spilled something like juices from raw meat or chicken then I tend to use Dettol antibacterial spray which kills off 99.9% of bacteria and viruses and doesn’t leave a scent behind.
YOU MIGHT ALSO JUST LOVE OUR EASY HOUSEWORK ROUTINE HERE