At least a couple of times a year in the spring and late autumn I do a full deep clean of the bathroom. I take a couple of hours out to really refresh and clean it thoroughly, taking care of all the little overlooked jobs and tired areas.
How to deep clean the bathroom
First things first – open the windows
- get the window wide open and get fresh air circulating
Wash towels and mats
- gather up all towels and mats and throw them into the washing machine.
Start at the top – clean ceilings and upper walls
- use the soft bristle brush vacuum attachment – vacuum ay cobwebs or dust off the ceiling and walls.
- vacuum and clean the light fittings
- clean the window dressings
- clean the windows – get the homemade natural window cleaning solution recipe here.
Tiles and grout
- scrub the grout – I use bathroom cleaner and a toothbrush to clean the grout. But wear eye protection to avoid any splashes.
- rinse thoroughly and then clean the tiles with bathroom cleaner and buff with dry with microfibre cloths
Clean the toilet
- pour toilet cleaner into the toilet, then using the toilet brush, clean right up under the rim – then flush.
- clean the toilet – the cistern, the flusher, the seat and lid and all around the toilet base. Use antibacterial cleaner for this job.
Clean the sink, bath and shower
- wash the shower curtains – I add Dettol laundry cleanser to the washing machine for this job
- remove any toiletries and cosmetics – and thoroughly clean the sink, bath and shower with bathroom cleaner and rinse well.
- pour baking soda and white vinegar down the plugholes and let it sit for around an hour. Then rinse through with boiling water.
Clean out cupboards
- empty cupboards, go through contents, throw out anything no longer wanted.
- clean cupboards and refill with products you’re keeping.
- clean the mirrors and for a streak free clean use our homemade mirror cleaner here.
- vacuum floors, skirting boards and door frames
- clean the door, skirting boards and radiator with hot soapy water – then dry with microfibre cloth.
Clean the floor
- Mop the floor with antibacterial floor cleaner.
Get the printable deep clean the bathroom checklist here
Keep on top of the chores and clean the bathroom in a way that suits your lifestyle
- grab our 15 minute bathroom cleaning checklist here
- grab our spring cleaning bathroom cleaning checklist here
- grab our bathroom cleaning kit essentials here
- grab our housework routine here
For a clean and tidy home get our BEST cleaning tips here
Get more home and garden tips here