I like to do a seasonal deep clean of the kitchen so that I can refresh it, switch my utensils, crockery and pans around. In the autumn I use casserole dishes and the slow cooker more so I move them to within easy reach. In the summer I want salad bowls and grill things in easy reach. So with each change of season I do a deep clean of the kitchen and stage it for the coming season.
I get the windows wide open, get some fresh air blowing in, put the radio on loud and really get stuck in.
I set aside a good morning or afternoon at least to do a proper deep clean but once I’ve got it sparkling clean it’s so much easier to keep on top of and it will look nice. Daily cleaning will be easier and faster and it makes me feel good!
Things you need to spring clean the kitchen
- cleaning cloths – some for cleaning, some for polishing.
- kitchen cleaner
- white vinegar
- plain white bar of soap (this is great for cleaning stainless steel – wash down & buff dry)
- dishwashing liquid
- mop & bucket
- floor cleaner
- vacuum cleaner
- kitchen deep clean checklist
How to spring clean the kitchen
- empty all food cupboards – throw away food past use by date, wash and refill storage containers, clean insides of all the cupboards, return food and wipe jars as you do so, organise cupboards to frequently used things are easy to reach and like items are together.
- empty out all other kitchen cupboards and drawers – declutter and throw away rubbish, sort out unwanted items for charity/sale, clean the insides of all the cupboards, return items and arrange so frequently used items are easy to reach, put like items together in groups. Eg. drink making cupboard with tea/coffee, cups, glasses etc by the kettle.
- declutter and clean on tops of cupboards
- declutter and clean all surfaces
- clean door handles and light switches
- clean light fittings
- wipe down all paint work – doors, skirting boards, radiators etc.
- clean windows and window dressings – I use homemade window cleaner for this.
- clean the oven and hob including extractor fan if you have one.
- wipe down kitchen tiles – I use the homemade window cleaner to clean tiles to.
- clean appliances – microwave, dishwasher, coffee machine etc
- clean fridge – including vacuuming the back
- clean dining table and chairs
- clean the kitchen sink
- vacuum and mop
You might also like our weekly housework routine