You know how delicious those gorgeous yummy macho peas are at Nando’s? Well we’ve made a homemade version that tastes almost as good as the real thing!
Now I totally love a Nando’s, it’s by far my favourite take-away. Gorgeous spicy chicken burgers topped with halloumi, pineapple and chilli jam…
Add to that a side of Nando’s spicy peri peri chips and always, ALWAYS a side of peas, I just love the macho peas.
But as I can’t eat at Nando’s every night I’ve had to make up my version of Nando’s peas at home and they’re delicious.
Okay not quite a Nando’s macho pea BUT they’re a great substitute.
Our homemade Nando’s style pea recipe goes AMAZINGLY with any of the Nando’s sauces range – the chicken marinades, the Nando’s Perinaise and even chips loaded up with the Nando’s peri peri salt.
One of the kids most favourite dinners is a homemade Nando’s and their home cooking range is brilliant! It’s just all so GOOD!!! (and easy)
Homemade Nando’s Style Peas Recipe
- Chopping board
- Weighing scales (or just estimate the butter quantity)
- Potato masher
Homemade Macho Peas Ingredients
You really only need a handful of ingredients to make the macho style peas and best of al they’re super easy.
- 250g cooked peas – still hot
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1/2 small chilli – finely chopped – deseeded if you prefer a milder taste
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley – finely chopped
- 3-5 mint leaves – finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
How To make Homemade Nando’s Style Peas
You’re going to just LOVE how easy these yummy peas are to make!
Step One – cook the peas
- First up – cook your frozen peas in boiling water as per the packet instructions.
Step Two – chop the herbs and chilli
- Whilst the peas cook – finely chop the flat leaf parsley and red chilli.
Step Three – drain and mash the peas
- Once the peas are cooked – drain using a colander and then tip half the cooked peas into a mixing bowl – keep the other half for a little later in the recipe.
- Add the 50g of unsalted butter to the hot peas so that it melts deliciously into them.
- Mash the peas up with a potato masher – really squash them and bash them, you want them almost mushy pea consistency.
- Once the peas are nicely mashed up – add the whole peas that you saved.
Step Four – add the flavour to the Nando’s style peas
- Add the chopped flat leaf parsley and the finely chopped red chilli.
- Season with sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper – taste the pea mixture as you go to make sure it’s exactly as you like it.
- Give everything a good mix together and then serve.
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
How To Serve Homemade Nando’s Style Peas
Well we love these alongside any of the Nando’s home cooking range or try alongside….
- Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken Casserole – a super easy, spicy chicken casserole you can cook in the slow cooker – just add wedges and a side of our Nando’s style peas.
- Homemade Turkey Burgers – really easy homemade burgers using turkey thigh mince – we slide these into toasted brioche rolls and pile on the toppings – grilled halloumi, pineapple rings and chilli jam. DELICIOUS
- Peri Peri Roast Chicken – give roast chicken a peri peri twist with our simple to make marinade that really packs a spicy punch!
- Cheesy Pull Apart Bread – Nando’s style peas go great alongside wedges of our yummy cheesy pull apart bread.
You might also love our 25 Easy Summer Crockpot Recipes – Spend less time in the kitchen and more time out in the sunshine!
More Easy Side Dishes That Go Great With Chicken And Fries
- Cheesy Peri Peri Sweet Potato Wedges – homemade chunky cut sweet potato wedges with the skin on – scattered with parmesan cheese for extra zing!
- Healthy Coleslaw (advertisement feature recipe) a tangy, crunchy slaw with vinaigrette dressing, just to keep things light.
- Quick Padron Peppers – these are just too easy! Blistered Padron peppers go perfectly with chicken and you can sizzle them up in minutes.
Get all our delicious vegetarian recipes here
Need Some Family Meal Ideas?
Check out our meal planning here – it’s filled with recipes, meal planner tips and pre-filled printable meal plans weekly or seasonally. We’ve got hundreds of the BEST family recipes your whole family will LOVE!
- 250g Peas
- 50g Butter
- 1/2 Red chilli
- 4 Mint leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the peas as per the packet instructions
- Remove half the peas and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and mash well using a potato masher.
- Put the saved peas back into the bowl with the mashed peas.
- Add the flat leaf parlsey, red chilli and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together then eat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only - you should always calculate your own nutrition information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Get loads more tasty vegetable dishes here
Easy roast vegetable couscous
If you’re cooking up a peri peri feast at home then you might just LOVE our easy roasted squash and feta couscous to go alongside your chicken and peas.