You know how delicious those gorgeous yummy macho peas are at Nando’s? Well we’ve made a homemade version that tastes almost as good as the real thing!
Now I totally love a Nando’s, it’s by far my favourite take-away. Gorgeous spicy chicken burgers topped with halloumi, pineapple and chilli jam…
Add to that a side of Nando’s spicy peri peri chips and always, ALWAYS a side of peas, I just love the macho peas.
But as I can’t eat at Nando’s every night I’ve had to make up my version of Nando’s peas at home and they’re delicious.
Okay not quite a Nando’s macho pea BUT they’re a great substitute.
Our homemade Nando’s style pea recipe goes AMAZINGLY with any of the Nando’s home cooking range – the chicken marinades, the Nando’s Perinaise and even chips loaded up with the Nando’s peri peri salt.
One of the kids most favourite dinners is a homemade Nando’s and their home cooking range is brilliant! It’s just all so GOOD!!! (and easy)
Homemade Nando’s Style Peas Recipe
You really only need a handful of ingredients to make the macho style peas and best of al they’re super easy.
Homemade Macho Peas Ingredients
- 250g cooked peas – still hot
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1/2 small chilli – finely chopped (deseeded if you prefer a milder taste)
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley – finely chopped
- 3-5 mint leaves – finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
How to make Homemade Nando’s Style Peas
- First up – cook your frozen peas in boiling water as per the packet instructions.
- Whilst the peas cook – finely chop the flat leaf parsley and red chilli.
- Once the peas are cooked drain using a colander and then tip half the cooked peas into a mixing bowl – keep the other half for a little later in the recipe.
- Add the 50g of unsalted butter to the hot peas so that it melts deliciously into them.
- Mash the peas up with a potato masher – really squash them and bash them, you want them almost mushy pea consistency.
- Once the peas are nicely mashed up – add the whole peas that you saved.
- Add the chopped flat leaf parsley and the finely chopped red chilli.
- Season with sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper – taste the pea mixture as you go to make sure it’s exactly as you like it.
- Give everything a good mix together and then serve.
How to serve Homemade Nando’s Style Peas
Well we love these alongside any of the Nando’s home cooking range or try alongside….
- Slow Cooker Peri Peri Chicken Casserole – a super easy, spicy chicken casserole you can cook in the slow cooker – just add wedges and a side of our Nando’s style peas.
- Homemade Turkey Burgers – really easy homemade burgers using turkey thigh mince – we slide these into toasted brioche rolls and pile on the toppings – grilled halloumi, pineapple rings and chilli jam. DELICIOUS
- Peri Peri Roast Chicken – give roast chicken a peri peri twist with our simple to make marinade that really packs a spicy punch!
More easy side dishes that go great with a chicken and fries
- Cheesy Peri Peri Sweet Potato Wedges – homemade chunky cut sweet potato wedges with the skin on – scattered with parmesan cheese for extra zing!
- Healthy Coleslaw (advertisement feature recipe) a tangy, crunchy slaw with vinaigrette dressing, just to keep things light.
- Quick Padron Peppers – these are just too easy! Blistered Padron peppers go perfectly with chicken and you can sizzle them up in minutes.
- 250g Peas
- 50g Butter
- 1/2 Red chilli
- 4 Mint leaves
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the peas as per the packet instructions
- Remove half the peas and put them into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and mash well using a potato masher.
- Put the saved peas back into the bowl with the mashed peas.
- Add the flat leaf parlsey, red chilli and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix everything together then eat!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 406mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g