Making your own pizza sauce is just so easy! It tastes fresher, nicer and way tastier than shop bought tomato sauce and if you’re making homemade pizzas then homemade pizza sauce is definitely the way to go.
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients and just a few minutes hands-on cooking time, then you can leave it to bubble away nicely.
Super simple homemade pizza sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped (depending on how garlicky you like your food)
- 2 tins good quality tomatoes (the better the quality the better the sauce)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt and black pepper
- small handful of basil - roughly chopped (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over a low heat.
- Tip in the garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and dried oregano - season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the sauce to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook with the lid off for around 30-40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped basil.
Make Pizza Sauce your way
- go spicy and add in some freshly chopped chillies.
- for extra tastiness add in some toasted ground fennel seeds
How to use homemade Pizza Sauce
- use as a pizza sauce – spread onto your pizza base and top with your favourite toppings.
- use as a quick tomato sauce to go with pasta.
PS… You might also just LOVE our super easy homemade pesto pasta