How to spring clean the living room – download our top to bottom cleaning checklist for really deep cleaning and organising the living room.
I just love a good spring clean. Clutter busting, giving the room a proper top to bottom clean so that everything sparkles, putting everything back neat and organised it really makes me happy.
So we’re continuing our spring cleaning theme and tackling the lounge.
As you know I do tend to champion the more natural non-toxic cleaning products or homemade when I can. I just think they’re so much better for the environment and you and especially better around kids. They also tend to have a much more pleasant scent.
Again you’ll need to set aside either a morning or an afternoon to give the lounge a good spring clean.
As always when spring cleaning, get the windows open wide and the music loud. Makes it so much better.
Things you’ll need to spring clean the living room
- cleaning cloths
- surface cleaner – I like Method Multi-Surface Cleaner in French Lavender it smells divine and you can clean most surfaces with it.
- window cleaner – you can make your own natural window cleaner this leaves glass streak free.
- vacuum cleaner
- mop and bucket
- floor cleaners – I like Method Wood Floor Cleaner – the almond scent smells like marzipan, it’s so good!
- specialist cleaners like beeswax polish for wood and leather cleaner for leather sofas.
- bags/boxes for rubbish and clutter to give away
- The Daisies & Pie Living Room Spring Cleaning Checklist
How to spring clean the lounge
- If you have a chimney arrange to have this professional cleaned prior to your spring cleaning.
- Clean the fire surround and mantle piece.
- Dust cornice or ceiling features.
- Take down light fittings, clean them and return them.
- Clean your windows – take down the curtains and wash them as per the washing instructions. If switching to summer curtains then fold and store winter curtains away neatly. Vacuum and wipe down blinds, vacuum window vents, wash the windows – we use homemade natural window cleaner to do this. Clean the windowsills.
- Empty all the cupboards, sort through your belongings, get rid of items no longer wanted or needed. Vacuum and clean the inside of the cupboards and return your belongings. Arrange them so that frequently used items are easy to access – maybe use storage boxes and baskets inside cupboards so that it’s easier to find things.
- Declutter and clean all surfaces.
- Clean light switches and door handles – I do this with warm soapy water with a few drops of tea tree oil – make sure you wring the cloth out very well before wiping light switches – don’t drip water into electrics.
- Vacuum light shades and clean lamp bases.
- Clean mirrors – use the natural window cleaner for this job.
- Clean ornaments – any that can be washed in warm soapy water then do so.
- Vacuum under and behind all furniture.
- Vacuum and wipe down all woodwork – doors, door frames and skirting boards.
- Vacuum sofa – underneath any cushions, down crevices – use the upholstery attachment on the vacuum cleaner to do this.
- Wash/dry clean any throws or cushion covers – if switching to summer cushions and throws then store winter ones away neatly.
- Vacuum and clean any rugs and carpets as per cleaning instructions.
- Vacuum/mop the floor.
Get the printable checklist for spring cleaning the living room
Love a clean and tidy living room? Try these cleaning tips:
- Cleaning chores – daily, weekly and monthly – grab our list of chores to do daily, weekly and monthly to keep the living room fresh, clean and lovely to be in.
- Easy way to clean venetian blinds – grab our top tips for cleaning venetian blinds quickly and easily
- Simple tips to clean the living room in just 5 minutes – short on time? Whizz through the cleaning with our fast 5 minute speed cleaning guide!
Once you’ve got things clean and organised try out our Easy Housework Routine to keep on top of things.
It breaks down housework into manageable daily, weekly and monthly tasks.
For a clean and tidy home get our BEST cleaning tips here
Get more home and garden tips here
Get more housework routines here
Get more living room cleaning tips here
You can get more printable housework checklists here
Get all our spring cleaning tips here