Our robust Italian chicken soup is the perfect winter warmer. Rich, delicious and packed with Italian flavours. Made using leftover roast chicken it’s quick to cook and makes a filling family dinner.
Take out your biggest saucepan, add finely chopped onions, garlic, leeks, celery, carrots and peppers and sauté for 10 minutes until they’re softening. Add chopped tomatoes, the fresh or dried Italian herbs, your shredded leftover roast chicken and 400ml hot chicken stock. If you’ve not got a lot of leftover chicken add in a can of borlotti beans to bulk it up.
Bring the soup to the boil and then simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, then add the pasta – opt for small pasta like macaroni or orzo, or simply break up spaghetti strands. Simmer the soup until the pasta is cooked, stir through some finely chopped greens – spinach, kale or cabbage for the last few minutes of cooking.
Serve the soup in dishes topped with green pesto and Parmesan shavings and crusty bread for dipping and scooping the lovely thick robust soup.
Rich, delicious, robust Italian chicken soup - made with leftover roast chicken
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery - finely sliced
- 4 carrots - thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 leek - finely chopped
- 1 pepper - finely diced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- a couple of handfuls of leftover roast chicken
- 1 tin of borlotti beans (optional)
- 500ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 250g small pasta macaroni or similar
- 150g finely chopped spinach or kale
- salt and pepper
- to serve
- Green pesto
- Parmesan shavings
- Crusty bread
- Add the olive oil to a large pan sauté the garlic, onion, celery, carrots, leek and pepper for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chicken stock, herbs and leftover roast chicken, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the pasta and cook for a further 10 minutes - if soup looks a little dry, top up with boiling water when you add the pasta.
- Add the chopped spinach for the last couple of minutes of cooking time.
- Serve in dishes topped with green pesto and Parmesan shavings along with some crusty bread.
Make Italian Chicken soup your way
- Use roast beef or pork instead of roast chicken.
- Use up whatever vegetables you have in, you can throw any greens into soup, yes, even lettuce!
- Fancy some spiciness add a pinch of chilli flakes when you serve.
- Go veggie and skip the meat just use tinned beans.