Advertisement Feature with Kent and Sussex Cottages
Cook up cheese on toast the Kentish Rarebit way – wholegrain bread topped with caramelised apples and melted cheese browned under the grill – SUPER TASTY!
Easy supper recipe
There’s nothing more lovely in the summer than exploring the English countryside and booking a holiday with Kent and Sussex Cottages.
Whilst on holiday it’s super nice to check out the local area and indulge in a few local foodie treats!
We just love this Kentish Rarebit recipe – so simple, easy and quick. Just perfect for an easy supper whilst on holiday.
Ready to eat in just minutes and oh so perfect alongside a bottle of cider or glass of wine.
To make this extra special try to use local apples and cheese or Kentish huffkin.
What is Kentish Rarebit?
Kentish Rarebit is a super tasty twist on the traditional Welsh Rarebit recipe – traditionally eaten by the apple pickers in the orchards of Kent at the turn of the last century.
Kentish Rarebit Ingredients
- 1 -2 eating apples (depending on the size)
- 30g butter
- 200g grated cheese
- 4 slices wholegrain bread or muffins
- pinch sea salt and black pepper
How to make Kentish rarebit
So basically grab yourself an apple, peel it and slice it thinly, then fry gently in butter until it starts to caramelise and soften.
Add half the grated cheese to the buttery apple mixture and then spoon onto bread thats been toasted on one side – then sprinkle over the rest of the grated cheese and season with salt and black pepper.
Grill under a hot grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
This is the perfect easy supper recipe to enjoy on a cottage holiday, especially in Kent and Sussex… we think this would pair just amazingly with a bottle or two or regional cider. Low fuss, delicious easy food.
Make Kentish Rarebit your way
Kentish Rarebit is super delicious just as it is but… if you want to add a few extras then try…
- topping with crispy fried streaky bacon
- adding strips of honey roast ham amongst the apples before you top with cheese.
- throw in some blue cheese for added tang
- try with pears instead of apples
Get more cheesy recipes here
More quick supper recipes to try whilst on holiday with Kent & Sussex Cottages
- Best Sausage Sandwiches – super tasty sausage sandwiches on sourdough toast topped with rocket, cheese and caramelised onions.
- Simple Aubergine Bruschetta – easy vegan bruschetta recipe with grilled aubergine slices drizzled with olive oil and freshly chopped chillies and mint.
- Spaghetti Margherita – all the taste of a pizza but in a delicious, quick and easy pasta dish.
Kent & Sussex foods you must try!
- Gypsy Tart
- Whitstable Oysters
- Regional Ales
- There’s also many artisan food producers in Sussex to discover.
Kentish Rarebit Recipe
- 1-2 small eating apples
- 30g butter
- 200g cheese grated
- 4 slices wholegrain bread
- pinch sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Peel and finely slice the apple.
- Add a generous knob of butter to a saucepan and gently saute the apple slices in butter over a medium heat until softening. Then remove pan from the heat.
- Toast one side of the bread under a hot grill.
- Add half the grated cheese to the buttery apple mixture and then spread onto the untoasted side of the bread. Scatter over the remaining cheese – season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Put the cheese and apple loaded toast back under the grill until the cheese is all melted and bubbling.
- Serve with a little pot of wholegrain mustard and maybe a bottle of regional cider alongside.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 753Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 27gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 1108mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 8gSugar: 19gProtein: 31g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our super tasty Kentish rarebit recipe to your sandwich board on Pinterest now!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here
For full details of my disclosure policy please read here.
Get loads of lunch recipes and ideas here
Get more quick and easy meals here
Love sandwiches – get lots more sandwich recipes and ideas here
Get more toastie ideas and recipes here