Easy leek and feta tart that’s perfect for weeknight dinner. The leeks are slowly sautéed with garlic, thyme and just a sprinkling of brown sugar to make them sweet and deliciously caramelised. Then scattered over a pastry sheet along with the feta cheese.
The leek and feta tart is delicious served with a side of green salad or steamed broccoli.
Super easy vegetarian tart recipe
- 2 trimmed leeks - washed and shredded.
- 1 clove of garlic - finely chopped
- Small handful of fresh picked thyme leaves (or a tsp of dried thyme)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Knob of butter
- Sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 3 tbs sun dried tomato paste
- 100g feta cheese cubed
- 1 egg beaten
- Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the garlic, leeks and thyme leaves, gently fry for around 10 minutes until soft. Then add the brown sugar and continue to fry for another 5-10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Lay the pastry sheet on a baking tray and gently make an indent all the way around approx 1 inch from the edge.
- Spread the centre of the pastry with sun dried tomato paste then scatter over the leeks and feta cheese.
- Brush the edges of the tart with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for around 20 - 25 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and the cheese browning.
Make leek and feta tart your way
- Want some meat? Add some smoky bacon.
- Try a creme fraiche or cream cheese base instead of sun dried tomato paste.
- Switch the feta for nice British regional cheeses like Crumbly Lancashire or Red Leicester.
Love your leftovers
- This tart tastes fab cold next day so slap a slice in your lunchbox.
- You can cook the leeks ahead of time and keep them in the fridge for a couple of days until ready to use. Just use them cold straight from the fridge.