Lemon and poppy seed drizzle cake is a mouthwateringly delicious loaf cake, and a slice of this will go just perfectly with a cup of tea.
Super easy to make, this moist, zingy cake is one you’ll make again and again.
Delicious and simple drizzle cake.
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of a lemon
- 125g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbs poppy seeds
- for the drizzle
- 50g caster sugar
- juice of a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Grease and line a 1lb loaf tin
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add in the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest and stir.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix gently, stir through the poppy seeds.
- Bake for around 35-40 minutes or until a when you insert a skewer it comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and prick the top all over with a skewer.
- Gently warm the lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan until its all melted together. Pour over the warm cake and leave the cake in the tin for around 30 minutes, then remove and put onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
HOW TO SERVE LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE
- Perfect just sliced with a cup of tea.
- Great for serving at afternoon tea parties.
- Oh so good with just a spoonful of clotted cream on top