Make Halloween at home extra creepy with our step by step instructions for creating your own DIY Halloween Tree along with cute little homemade Halloween tree ornaments.
If you’re decorating the house for Halloween then get the kids to make a creepy Halloween tree.
They’re easy to make and you can go wild with your Halloween tree ideas, hanging DIY Halloween tree ornaments, covering them in spiders web or whatever takes your fancy.
What you need to make a Halloween tree
For the Halloween tree craft you will need…
- black card (if you’re making lots of decorations you’ll need around 10-15 sheets – depending on the size of your tree)
- coloured acetate – we used purple, but green, black or orange all look good too.
- black cotton
- twigs – go out for a nature walk or just into the garden and find fallen twigs or cuttings.
- jar to hold the twigs
- paint – this is optional, you can paint your twigs or just leave them plain, when I paint them I tend to do them black, white or purple. A white Halloween tree decorated with white ghosts, white lights and white cobwebs looks super creepy!
- fairy lights and cobwebbing optional
How to make a DIY Halloween tree
It’s super easy to make a creepy Halloween tree – you could make a mini Halloween tree to use as a table top decoration or go all out and make the biggest BEST Halloween tree with branches!
- Gather together the foraged twigs or branches.
- If you’re panting them do this now and then leave to dry.
- Arrange the twigs into a jar.
- Decorate the Halloween tree with homemade halloween tree ornaments (see below), spooky fairy lights and fake cobwebs.
How to make Halloween tree decorations
- Fold the black card in half so white side is on outside.
- Draw the shape of a ghost or a bat onto the white side of the card.
- Draw a border around your original ghost/bat shape leaving around a 1-2cm gap.
- Ensure the card stays doubled up – cut out the shape of the ghost (including the middles) so that you end up with two ghost/bat outlines.
- Lay the ghost onto the table surface (white side up) then spread glue onto the ghost outline and stick the coloured acetate on top.
- Stick the other ghost outline on top.
- Trim off the extra acetate so that you’re left with little ghosts.
- Thread the little ornaments with black cotton and hang them from the creepy Halloween tree.
How can I decorate my Halloween tree?
You can use a combination of the little homemade ghost and bat decorations, throw on some Halloween themed fairy lights and pull over some of the fake cobwebs – this will create a really spooky atmospheric Halloween tree.
More DIY Halloween Decorations for Kids to Make
- Halloween ghost milk bottle lanterns – spooky little ghost lantern craft that’s super easy and fun for kids to make to decorate the house with.
- Ghost bunting – string up loads of little white ghosts and decorate your whole home with this fun and simple craft.
- Make your own magic wand – your little witches and wizards will love this Halloween craft making their own magic wands.
Save our creepy Halloween tree to Pinterest for later!