As the saying goes – April showers bring May flowers – celebrate with super cute DIY May Day flower baskets
Traditional May Day Celebrations
May Day was traditionally a big celebration with Maypole dancing and May Queens and flower crowns, dancing on the village green and of course traditional little May Day flower baskets. Over the years May Day celebrations have all but disappeared and I want them back! I mean… it’s good to celebrate happy things – right??
May Day Flower Baskets
Over the weekend we visited the cute little pub Two Left Feet Tap & Brewery and on the wooden tables they had little tin cans of flowers and it reminded me of May Day flower baskets – simple things are often the nicest.
Loads more ideas for family celebrations here!
So we’ve gathered a bunch of flowers from the garden and made cute little tin can May Day flower baskets for the doorstep. The tin is packed with lilacs that smell just gorgeous, tulips and lovely lavender and it’s a super simple way to celebrate May Day and brighten up the doorstep.
What you need to make May Day Flower Basket Tin Cans
- empty tin cans
- a sharp skewer to make holes
- hessian or piece of fabric
- sellotape dots or glue
How to make May Day Flower Basket Tin Cans
- wash the tin can carefully and remove the label – mind your fingers on the top rim it’s always sharp.
- make a hole at either side of the can using a sharp skewer.
- thread the string through the can and tie the end of the strings with knots – this will be the handle so you can hang up your May Day flower basket.
- cut out a heart shape from your fabric.
- add a sellotape dot onto the side of the can and stick the heart onto the side.
- pick a few flowers – I used lilacs, tulips and lavenders out of the garden – put them into your tin can.
- hang your May Day flower basket from the door handle or sit it on the windowsill or doorstep to celebrate May Day!
More tin can crafts for you to try…
Hit subscribe below for daily food & lifestyle inspiration!
Get more garden inspiration here
Get more home and garden tips here
Get more home style inspiration here