My delicious and quick Mexican quinoa bowl is ready in no time and is packed with vibrant, spicy flavours and colours. A bowl of this for lunch is sure to blow off the dreary November cobwebs!
As ever… there’s cheats in the recipe, because I want all of the flavour but in much less of the time. So I’ve hunted out some great compromise ingredients that make the recipe quicker to make, which in turn means I’m more likely to make it instead of getting sucked into a boring sandwich lunch option.
And in an effort to be a little healthier, I’m trying out some rapeseed oil for cooking, as it’s half the saturated fat of olive oil which I usually cook with, I thought it’d be worth a go! I’ve picked up a bottle of this lovely golden rapeseed oil from Borderfields, so I’m going to be trying it out in a few recipes over the next few weeks.
Deliciously healthy and quick Mexican lunch bowl.
- 1 courgette - chunkily sliced
- 200g baby plum tomatoes
- 1 red onion - chopped into wedges
- 1 tbs rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 packet of Mothergrain spicy Mexican quinoa
- 2 handfuls of leftover roast chicken (or use shop bought ready cooked chicken breasts)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 avocado peeled and cut into slices
- Spicy Mexican chilli sauce to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C. Throw the chopped courgette and onions along with the baby plum tomatoes into a roasting tin, drizzle with the rapeseed oil and sprinkle over the smoked paprika. Toss everything together using your hands and roast for around 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Heat the quinoa in the microwave, it takes just 90 seconds.
- Put together the Mexican quinoa bowl - add the quinoa, add a handful of spinach, top with the roast vegetables, add in the shredded leftover roast chicken, top with sliced avocado and drizzle over the hot chilli sauce and a handful of chopped coriander if you fancy.
Make the Mexican quinoa bowl your way…
- skip the quinoa and use microwave rice instead.
- go veggie and skip the chicken, replace with spicy chilli flecked grated cheese
- add a side of nachos
- Delicious healthy quick lunch option.
- Pack up in a lunchbox and take to work.
- Easy light midweek meal.