HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN COTTAGE PIE
An amazingly tasty mash up of Mexican beef chilli loaded with extra veggies like sweet potatoes and black beans then topped with fluffy mashed potatoes scattered with grated mature cheddar and finished off in the oven.
A substantial warming autumn dish – perfect for feeding a family.
Fusion comfort food!
- Olive oil
- Garlic - finely chopped
- Red chilli - finely sliced
- Red onion - finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 400g beef mince
- 2 carrots - grated.
- 1 sweet potato - chopped into small cubes
- 1 tin black beans
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2kg potatoes - peeled and cut into cubes for boiling
- handful of grated cheese.
- Milk and butter for mashing the potatoes.
- Salt & pepper.
- Add a splash of olive oil to a none stick pan. Throw in the garlic, red onion and chilli and fry for 5 minutes until softening.
- Add the cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir well.
- Tip in the minced beef and cook until browned.
- Add the grated carrots, chopped sweet potato, black beans and tinned tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Meanwhile add the potatoes to boiling salted water and cook for around 20 - 30 minutes until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash with a knob of butter and add a splash of milk until they are nice and fluffy.
- Tip the beef chilli into an oven proof dish - top with the mashed potatoes and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Put the Mexican Shepherd's Pie into the oven and cook for around 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the potatoes browning.
You could always add a slice of garlic baguette....
MAKE MEXICAN COTTAGE PIE YOUR WAY
Cottage pie is a delicious warming family dinner recipe and there’s loads of ways to switch it up to suit your own tastes.
- Go for mashed sweet potato topping instead of regular mash.
- Add in more veggies.
- Add in more tinned beans
- Go veggie and use Quorn mince.
- Switch the Mexican flavours for Indian curry paste and switch the black beans for tinned lentils.
WHAT GOES WITH COTTAGE PIE
We love to add a side or two of vegetables with cottage pie – oh and maybe a garlic baguette…. Try…
- Steamed broccoli and cauliflower
- Peas or green beans
- Red cabbage
- Pickled beetroot
MORE EASY FAMILY DINNER RECIPES TO TRY