A delicious recipe for Mexican spiced chicken thighs that are full of flavour, super simple to cook and budget friendly.
This is a really versatile recipe and you could serve them just as they are alongside rice or mashed potatoes with seasonal vegetables or you could shred the meat from the bone and use it to stuff tacos, fajitas or turn into pulled chicken sandwiches. All of which would be a quick, easy and budget dinner.
- 1kg chicken thighs - skin on
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of chilli flakes (or 1/2 tsp chilli powder)
- pinch of salt
- black pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Slash the skin on the chicken thighs, and place them in a bowl, sprinkle over the cumin, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper. Rub the spices into the chicken so the thighs are all well coated.
- Place the chicken thighs in a roasting tin and cover with tin foil, roast in the oven for around 30 minutes. Then remove the foil and put back in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no pink meat remains.
Make spiced chicken thighs your way…
- Switch the Mexican spices for Indian spices or Italian herbs.
- Switch chicken thighs for drumsticks.
Serve Mexican spiced chicken thighs…
- Delicious served hot alongside creamy mashed potatoes and baked beans.
- Shred the chicken meat and use to make tacos – add lettuce, salsa, sweetcorn and cheese.
- Shred the chicken with forks and use to make pulled chicken sandwiches, top with BBQ sauce and melted cheese.