A mild chilli con carne recipe that’s ideal for family dinner. Our chilli con carne is gently spiced so there’ll be no complaining from the kids that it’s too spicy! It’s also packed with vegetables and as a mum, recipes packed with vegetables always make me happy.
Deliciously mild chilli con carne - a fab family recipe
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 2 red onions - finely chopped
- 1 red pepper - finely chopped
- 500g minced beef
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 sweet potatoes - peeled and chopped into small bitesized pieces
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 1 tin kidney beans
- Heat the oven to 170C
- Get a large pan, one you can use on the hob and in the oven. Add a splash of olive oil and gently sauté the garlic, onions and peppers for 5 minutes.
- Tip in the minced beef and brown.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon, cocoa powder and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Tip in the sweet potatoes, tinned tomatoes and tomato puree.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour, check the chilli con carne after 30 minutes and add some water if it looks too dry.
- After an hour, remove from the oven, add the kidney beans, stir well and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Serve with all your favourite sides.
Make chilli con carne your way
- If you like your chilli with more spice, add a couple of spoonfuls of a hot chilli sauce once you’ve put out the kids portions.
- Add in more vegetables, try butternut squash or courgettes.
How to serve mild chilli con carne
- Serve a dollop of chilli alongside some basmati rice, some coleslaw, salad and some nacho crisps for scooping it up with.
- Try the chilli con carne as a baked potato topping, add some sour cream or grated cheddar cheese.
- Use it in tacos or to stuff burritos.