A super easy minced beef pie recipe that’s just delicious for family dinner. I promise this delicious puff pastry pie will fast become a family favourite!
Minced beef pie is super simple to make – you can let the slow cooker take care of the ground beef pie filling throughout the day.
Then when you get home just top it with a puff pastry lid using shop bought pastry and just finish the pie off in the oven.
A tasty, filling family meal – perfect comfort food for a cold day. This is one of our favourite recipes using ground beef.
Minced Beef Pie Ingredients
- 1 tbs olive oil – you can use rapeseed oil if you prefer.
- 2 carrots – peeled and sliced – just choose medium carrots.
- 2 celery sticks – scrubbed and sliced (these are optional, you can make the pie without if you wish)
- 500g minced beef – choose a pack of low fat ground beef for this recipe.
- 300ml hot beef stock
- splash of Worcestershire sauce – if you haven’t got Worcestershire sauce – add a squirt of BBQ sauce or stir through a tsp of mild mustard.
- 1 tsp dried thyme – or you can use dried mixed herbs if you prefer.
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry – it’s good to keep a pack of puff pastry in the fridge as it’s great for helping turn leftovers into a pie or pasty. Or for making quick puff pastry pizzas for lunch.
- 1 egg beaten – just a small or medium egg is fine for this recipe
Get our BEST slow cooker recipes here
How to Make Minced Beef Pie
I use a Crockpot sauté slow cooker so the pan is removable and I start the minced beef pie filling off on the hob then transfer to the Crockpot base for slow cooking.
- Heat the slow cooker to low
- Peel and finely chop the onions
- Peel and slice the carrots (as chunky or fine as you like)
- Add the olive oil to the slow cooker and gently sauté the chopped onions over a low heat.
- Tip the beef mince into the slow cooker pan with the onions.
- Gently brown the beef mince over a low heat, stirring the onions into the mince meat as you go.
- Tip in the sliced carrots.
- Add a splash of Worcestershire sauce – I just add a couple of shakes.
- Tip the dried thyme into the pan with the mince beef and vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper to suit your own tastes.
- Stir the carrots, herbs and seasoning together with the mince beef and onions.
- Pour the hot beef stock into the pan with the pie filling.
- Stir the hot beef stock into the pie filling and then transfer the minced beef pie filling to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 6 hours.
- Once the minced beef pie filling is cooked – if the gravy needs thickening do this using a tsp of cornflour mixed into a paste with a drop of cold water – then pour it into the filling and stir through whilst over a low heat to thicken the gravy.
- Pour the pie filling into a roasting tin or pie dish.
- If you’re making the pie ready to cook later let the filling cool fully before you add the pastry sheet.
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Unwrap the pastry sheet and lay it across the tin with the pie filling in.
- Remember this is a rustic pie – you don’t need to be overly neat or perfect with the finish (rustic cooking is my favourite style!)
- Press the edges with a fork all the way around to crimp them a little.
- Use any pastry scraps to decorate the top of the pie.
- Add a couple of slits in the pastry for air to escape.
- Brunch the pastry with beaten egg
- Bake the pie in the oven for around 25-30 minutes until the pie filling is piping hot and the pastry puffed up and golden brown.
Love pie? Get our BEST pie recipes here!
Make Beef Mince Pie Filling Your Way
We’ve given you the basic ingredients for minced beef pie but you can mix things up and cook it your own way. Try…
- Add some more vegetables – try sliced button mushrooms or peas.
- Fancy some spice? Add a splash of hot chilli sauce and stir through the filling.
- Don’t like pastry? Top with mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes instead – Cottage Pie style.
- Alternatively just serve the filling spooned over baked potatoes or mashed potatoes and add a side of cheat-y Aunt Bessie dumplings and some simple steamed green vegetables.
Get more easy ground beef recipes here
What to serve with beef mince pie
- Delicious with a spoonful of mashed potatoes and a side of peas or broccoli.
- Perfect with chunky oven chips, extra gravy and a side of peas and corn.
- I also really like this with a side of pickled red cabbage or beetroot.
Browse all our meat recipes here
Best onion gravy
We’ve got the most perfect easy onion gravy recipe which is oh so perfect poured over your pie with mash or chunky chips.
More minced beef recipes to try
When you’re feeding a family easy ground beef recipes are a MUST!
They’re usually super easy and simple to bulk up with extra vegetables to make the dish stretch further.
Some of our BEST ground beef recipes are below – these are tried and tested family favourites.
Get more really delicious easy minced beef recipes here
- Oven baked bolognese – baking bolognese sauce in the oven gives it a much nicer, sweeter flavour – way better than boiling it on the hob.
- Quick chilli con carne with baked beans – a super easy ground beef recipe that’s ready to eat in under 30 minutes so it’s great for weeknight dinner.
- Bolognese sloppy joes – if you’re making bolognese then it’s well worth making extra sauce so you can cook up these amazing sloppy joes the next day for dinner – you’ll not regret it!
- Loaded burgers – sometimes you just want to cook up a total burger feast! Our fully loaded burgers will satisfy that craving!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery sticks
- 500g beef mince
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- pinch sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- Heat the slow cooker to low.
- Add the olive oil to the slow cooker pan and gently fry the onions.
- Tip in the minced beef and brown.
- Add the carrots, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Pour over the beef stock.
- Transfer the pan to the slow cooker and cook on low for around 6 hours.
- Once the pie filling is cooked if you need to thicken the gravy do this using a tsp of cornflour mixed with a drop of water and stirred through the pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 200C
- Tip the minced beef pie filling into a pie dish or roasting tin.
- Lay over the pastry lid and crimp the edges.
- Make a few slits with a sharp knife in the pastry to allow the air to escape.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until the filling is piping hot and the pastry puffed up and golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 25g
Nutritional content will vary depending on the exact ingredients you use and how careful you are with measuring - this nutritional information is given as a general guide only and may not be accurate - you should always calculate your own nutritional information especially if you have specific dietary requirements.
Save our delicious easy ground beef recipe to Pinterest for later!
Get loads more easy dinner recipes here