Our Moroccan meatball sauce is just bursting with delicious spicy flavours, it’s really easy to prepare, and fills the house with a mouthwatering aroma as it simmers away.
You could opt to cook this one up in the slow cooker if you like and have it ready and waiting for you when you get home for dinner.
Gently spiced warming sauce for meatballs
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- thumb sized piece of ginger - peeled and finely grated
- 1 red chilli - finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tins tomatoes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- juice of half an orange
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the onions, garlic, chilli and ginger, cook slowly over a low heat until softening.
- Meanwhile add the cumin and coriander seeds to a small dry frying pan and gently toast over a low heat, when the spices start to give off a lovely aroma, they're done. Tip them into a pestle & mortar with the cinnamon and paprika, then grind into a powder.
- Tip the spice mix into the onions and stir well.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, brown sugar and orange juice, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for around 30 minutes.
Make Moroccan meatball sauce your way
- want more heat? add a pinch of chilli flakes.
- want more veggies? add in sliced peppers, courgette or aubergine.
- fancy a more Italian theme? Switch the cumin, coriander and cinnamon for fennel seeds, and add in oregano, thyme and basil.
How to serve Moroccan meatball sauce
- spooned over kofta lamb meatballs with a side of herby couscous.
- go all out veggie and eat spooned over roast vegetables and top with grilled halloumi.
- as an easy midweek dinner (cheat and buy the meatballs ready made…)