It’s that time of year. They’re here. THEY ARE HERE!
Spiders that is. Yes. It’s spider season. Now I know spiders are good, they eat pests, I get that. But if like me you’d rather they didn’t come inside the house, here’s a few natural spider deterrents*
Natural ways to keep spiders out of the house
- Keep your house tidy and clean. Hoover the corners and under the furniture regularly – disturb anywhere they might get cosy.
- Conkers! I don’t think it’s any coincidence that conkers are in abundance during spider season – mother nature wants you to pop them around your home to deter the spiders!
- Peppermint spray – spiders hate peppermint! I use a spray bottle and mix up warm water, a small squeeze of Ecover washing up liquid, 10 drops of peppermint essential oil and a tiny dash of white vinegar. I spray this wherever I think a spider might want to live! (do a test spray patch first though – I can’t guarantee it won’t mark or stain). I spray peppermint onto my bedding too as it aids restful sleep!
- Get a cat. They see a big spider as something to catch and kill.
- Make sure you have weather seal strips on your entrances to stop them crawling under the door and into the house.
- Sprinkle cinnamon around your entrances , burn cinnamon essential oil or bake loads of cinnamon cookies! My grandma swore by cinnamon as a natural repellent!
Disclaimer – I can’t guarantee any of these will be 100% effective – but they sure make me feel better about the whole thing!