It’s simple to throw together this beautiful rustic tart just perfect for spring.
A delicious combination of tender baby new potatoes with tangy Dewlay crumbly Lancashire cheese. This tart makes a quick and easy family meal. I serve this with a nice earthy beetroot, chickpea and spinach salad. Vibrant and tasty.
A beautiful new potato and crumbly lancashire cheese tart - perfect spring dish.
- 350g baby new potatoes
- Pack of ready rolled puff pastry (I use the 230g pack of Marie SAS la pate feuilletee)
- 2 tbs creme fraiche
- clove of garlic - crushed
- couple of large handfuls of grated crumbly lancashire cheese (I use Dewlay)
- 4 spring onions - finely sliced
- beaten egg
- salt, pepper and olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Place the baby new potatoes whole and complete with skin into a pan of boiling water and boil for 8 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool quickly. Then slice as thin as you can.
- Lightly grease a large baking tray and un-roll the puff pastry sheet and place onto the tray.
- Add the crushed garlic to the creme fraiche and mix well.
- Spread the creme fraiche onto the pastry - leaving at least a 1 inch border free all around the outside.
- Lay the sliced potatoes onto the creme fraiche base.
- Scatter over the finely chopped spring onions.
- Scatter over the grated cheese.
- Brush the border of the pastry with beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the tart with salt and pepper to taste and give the potatoes a light drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes until the puff pastry is risen and browned.
This is beautiful served fresh from the oven and still warm. I like to accompany it with a vibrant and earthy beetroot salad. Leftovers are just delicious cold and very portable just wrapped in a little greaseproof paper.
Mmmm cheese & potato tart real family food – Enjoy!