Oven baked bolognese is by far my favourite way to cook bolognese sauce. It gives the sauce a richer depth of flavour which leaves it tasting amazing!
I use polpa tomatoes for oven baked bolognese rather than simply chopped tomatoes – the polpa have more tomato juice and the tomatoes are much finer which give the sauce a great consistency – it’s definitely worth buying them.
Delicious rich bolognese sauce
- splash of olive oil
- 1 large onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery - finely sliced
- 400g minced beef
- 2 tins polpa tomatoes
- 150ml red wine
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- In an oven proof casserole pan with a lid - heat a splash of olive oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and celery for around 10 minutes over a low heat until softened.
- Add the minced beef and brown.
- Tip in the wine, polpa tomatoes, herbs, sugar and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Bring the pan of sauce to the boil and then put on the lid and oven bake for around 1 hour - 1 hour 20 minutes.
Make bolognese sauce your way…
- If you’ve got kids then hiding veggies in bolognese sauce might be your thing – try adding finely chopped mushrooms, peppers or grated carrot to the sauce.
How to serve oven baked bolognese
- Delicious stirred through freshly cooked spaghetti or with gnocchi – just add a side salad.